Groupon?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
FBO I'm at is tossing around the idea of a Groupon type thing. I keep up the website and do the internet marketing as a favor. I've seen a few plane ride/introductory flight type things on there and wondering if anyone has any experience. I see a problem in that most of the crap that shows up is high profit margin crap where the seller isn't going to lose his ass (i.e. body waxing, hair cuts, maincures, hiking trips etc...) I'm a little (read a lot) apprehensive. The idea is to sell a little ground school and an introductory flight,the ground might offset some of the 100LL. Breaking even and gaining a student or three would be great. Also, the intro flights will be in a Cessna 150. How do you go about it if someone shows up with groupon in hand and has eaten one cheesburger too many to be flying around in C150? I'd say 200-225 would be MAX for a passenger (the CFIs are skinny).

Last edited:
I'd personally avoid Groupon from what I've heard, but some people are happy with the results.

Ryan

We have done groupon (twice), livingsocial, and yelp.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/fly-corona/posts

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ingsocial+fly+corona&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www.yelp.com/deals/fly-corona-corona

You need to market to Joe Sixpack, who is NOT interested in ground, simulator, books, or other nonsense. You are selling flying, so make sure the meat is there -- these are bargain shoppers who will not be fooled -- our competitiors have offered "fluff" packages (one even offered "20 minutes of flying -- whats that, a lap in the pattern?!) and they do not get nearly the volume they would have with a good offering.

For us, the key to making it work on a per-unit basis was upselling. We sold a 90 minute demo in a C172 for $99 initially. We were set to lose our ass on each and every one. We sold ~700 of them in Feb, and here is what we have seen:

Redemptions are running at about 30% so far, and we expect them to finish at 50%. We have had 5 student conversions, or about 1%. Our deal must be redeemed within a year to get the deal price. If you do the math, this was where we broke even overall -- people are very good at scrutinizing a deal, but very bad about having the time to redeem/remember it. It's strange, but not unlike block time.

On average, we are able to sell them about $30 in merch, to include: logbook, framed photo or video, keychain, toy airplane, whatever. Have the high-margin junk ready and prominently merchandised.

Groupon will negotiate the "split" with you. We keep 70% of the proceeds of the deal, not the base 50%.

Engage the groupon people when the deal is running, their message board will fill with silly questions -- you need someone full time answering questions in an engaging way when the deal runs to keep it fun.

Make sure you enforce your cancellation policy and put it in the deal terms. We learned that these folks are a little flakey -- we amended our policy to be 24 hour cancellation = forfeiture of the funds. We have a list of bad actors who have clobbered our saturday schedule repeatedly.

Along those lines, limit the number of demos available per day. Especially on your peak days. We hosed our students badly with the initial surge. We had to buy 2 more planes to appease them.

==

Of the three companies:

Groupon was a pleasure to deal with, paid early (appx $50k on this deal alone), and have been in touch with us ever since to come up with new and interesting deals. We sold ~700 demos in one shot with them.

Livingsocial were jerks to deal with. They paid on time. We literally had to haggle with them for 2 months before they relented and matched groupon's split with us. We haven't heard back from them since the deal. I think we only sold 100 of these.

Yelp were strange to deal with. They would not let us interact with the client base directly while the deal was going on, and they answered some questions inaccurately, to our frustration. They did not pay at all until we badgered them (and that took 6 weeks) Also, for some reason, both during and after the deal, we had a LOT of people calling our office to ask for a "special direct" price (like, cut out yelp and see if they could squeeze more) -- not sure if this was a paranoid set of yelp shills or what. We sold about 250 or so of these if I recall.

==

We liked it. It smoothed out our winter lull. We have learned a lot about managing expectations and shaping the deal to be compatible with our normal business cycle.

We got the deal "perfected" with our Yelp listing, and will probably do a flavor of it with Groupon again next year. Our final set of tricks:

1. No more 90 minute flight at 1/2 off. Make them buy 3 30 minute flights at 1/2 off (= $147 instead of $99)

2. 24 hour cancellation rule enforced, their code is redeemed at booking, not at flying.

3. Limit 5 demo "slots" per day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Limit 8 demo slots per day for M-Th

==

It's great fun. Make sure your social media integration is dialled in -- make it cake for them to like you on Facebook, and don't "pump" them for reviews. They'll happen naturally.

Your CFIs will get a LOT of tips. While we don't do this, we've considered either paying them a lower rate for doing the demos or trying to mooch on the tips in some other way -- we decided to stay on the high road, but it was tempting -- the CFIs were getting paid the margin we were losing on the deal. Since CFI retention is getting difficult for us, we're very happy to have a way to keep them fat and fed -- they've been averaging $10 in tips per demo flight.

==

I'm happy to answer other questions you might have. Like any other flight school activity, it's a gamble, and the margin can cut you, but you meet people who you wouldn't meet otherwise, they have a blast, and you boost GA overall, so I think it's a win.

$0.02

- Mike

We have done groupon (twice), livingsocial, and yelp.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/fly-corona/posts

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ingsocial+fly+corona&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www.yelp.com/deals/fly-corona-corona

You need to market to Joe Sixpack, who is NOT interested in ground, simulator, books, or other nonsense. You are selling flying, so make sure the meat is there -- these are bargain shoppers who will not be fooled -- our competitiors have offered "fluff" packages (one even offered "20 minutes of flying -- whats that, a lap in the pattern?!) and they do not get nearly the volume they would have with a good offering.

For us, the key to making it work on a per-unit basis was upselling. We sold a 90 minute demo in a C172 for $99 initially. We were set to lose our ass on each and every one. We sold ~700 of them in Feb, and here is what we have seen:

Redemptions are running at about 30% so far, and we expect them to finish at 50%. We have had 5 student conversions, or about 1%. Our deal must be redeemed within a year to get the deal price. If you do the math, this was where we broke even overall -- people are very good at scrutinizing a deal, but very bad about having the time to redeem/remember it. It's strange, but not unlike block time.

On average, we are able to sell them about $30 in merch, to include: logbook, framed photo or video, keychain, toy airplane, whatever. Have the high-margin junk ready and prominently merchandised.

Groupon will negotiate the "split" with you. We keep 70% of the proceeds of the deal, not the base 50%.

Engage the groupon people when the deal is running, their message board will fill with silly questions -- you need someone full time answering questions in an engaging way when the deal runs to keep it fun.

Make sure you enforce your cancellation policy and put it in the deal terms. We learned that these folks are a little flakey -- we amended our policy to be 24 hour cancellation = forfeiture of the funds. We have a list of bad actors who have clobbered our saturday schedule repeatedly.

Along those lines, limit the number of demos available per day. Especially on your peak days. We hosed our students badly with the initial surge. We had to buy 2 more planes to appease them.

==

Of the three companies:

Groupon was a pleasure to deal with, paid early (appx $50k on this deal alone), and have been in touch with us ever since to come up with new and interesting deals. We sold ~700 demos in one shot with them.

Livingsocial were jerks to deal with. They paid on time. We literally had to haggle with them for 2 months before they relented and matched groupon's split with us. We haven't heard back from them since the deal. I think we only sold 100 of these.

Yelp were strange to deal with. They would not let us interact with the client base directly while the deal was going on, and they answered some questions inaccurately, to our frustration. They did not pay at all until we badgered them (and that took 6 weeks) Also, for some reason, both during and after the deal, we had a LOT of people calling our office to ask for a "special direct" price (like, cut out yelp and see if they could squeeze more) -- not sure if this was a paranoid set of yelp shills or what. We sold about 250 or so of these if I recall.

==

We liked it. It smoothed out our winter lull. We have learned a lot about managing expectations and shaping the deal to be compatible with our normal business cycle.

We got the deal "perfected" with our Yelp listing, and will probably do a flavor of it with Groupon again next year. Our final set of tricks:

1. No more 90 minute flight at 1/2 off. Make them buy 3 30 minute flights at 1/2 off (= $147 instead of $99)

2. 24 hour cancellation rule enforced, their code is redeemed at booking, not at flying.

3. Limit 5 demo "slots" per day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Limit 8 demo slots per day for M-Th

==

It's great fun. Make sure your social media integration is dialled in -- make it cake for them to like you on Facebook, and don't "pump" them for reviews. They'll happen naturally.

Your CFIs will get a LOT of tips. While we don't do this, we've considered either paying them a lower rate for doing the demos or trying to mooch on the tips in some other way -- we decided to stay on the high road, but it was tempting -- the CFIs were getting paid the margin we were losing on the deal. Since CFI retention is getting difficult for us, we're very happy to have a way to keep them fat and fed -- they've been averaging $10 in tips per demo flight.

==

I'm happy to answer other questions you might have. Like any other flight school activity, it's a gamble, and the margin can cut you, but you meet people who you wouldn't meet otherwise, they have a blast, and you boost GA overall, so I think it's a win.

$0.02

- Mike
It seems like you've got things figured out. I know other schools have done these deals expecting to convert many of them to students and were rather surprised when that didn't happen. So they clogged their schedules all up and weren't setup to net much of any benefit from it.

I wish more flight school operations put as much thought into their business as you seem to do. There would be a lot less schools failing and a lot more pilots in the air.

I considered doing a Groupon to try to get some students, but I realized that there was really no way to do it without losing money in my particular situation. It's not worth losing money to probably not get any more students.

The bike shop my wife used to work at has used Groupon's as a marketing tool. It was a pretty good setup for them, as their main goal was to get people in the front door so they could sell them other services/goods.

As far as using them for aviation, I would try to put your most personable (though maybe not your best 'teaching') CFI's out front for the 'deal' rides to improve your odds of selling follow-up flights. I have flown with some CFI's that, if it was my first time in a plane, would have been a definite turn-off to aviation. First impressions - especially for something as expensive to get into as aviation - can make or break the deal very quickly.

I'd personally avoid Groupon from what I've heard, but some people are happy with the results.

Ryan

Thanks for this thread, OP. I've not used Groupon from the vendor aspect; however, when I've been able to buy a $25.00 certificate for $4.00 to be used at the best steak house in this area, that's a bargain. I just looked upstairs and note that I still have two to be used; and there's no expiration date. I've found other certificates to be excellent values.

I need to do some research on the parameters of how the Groupon plan works if I were to try it as a vendor. If anyone would care to e-mail me with details of procedures/remunerations, feel free. Better that than a hard sales pitch, should that be the case, via telephone with Groupon.

HR

I need to do some research on the parameters of how the Groupon plan works if I were to try it as a vendor. If anyone would care to e-mail me with details of procedures/remunerations, feel free. Better that than a hard sales pitch, should that be the case, via telephone with Groupon.

HR

They're not pushy at all. Really. Our spidey sense was on full alert when we stepped into it, just because it seemed too easy. The default parameters are:

You offer a deal of your choosing, minimum 50% discount from retail

You and groupon split the remainder. As noted, this can be negotiated, depending on your industry.

So, decide what items are desirable and you're willing to sell for 75% off. They're tough leads to work.

You are paid in thirds. First third in 10 days, Second in 30, Final in 60.

Thanks Mike, others. for the replies, exactly what I was looking for.

I know other schools have done these deals expecting to convert many of them to students and were rather surprised when that didn't happen. So they clogged their schedules all up and weren't setup to net much of any benefit from it.

There was an article in the paper over the past weekend that made this point. Groupon issuers are not able to convert the coupon sales into repeat business. This goes far beyond aviation.

-Skip

Ryan
I don't know what you have heard Ryan. We have not used Groupon from the marketing side, but we have used it a lot from the customer side. $75 worth of wine for $25, a $125 beer tasting cruise up the Husdon River for $45. We have always been happy with the results. No complaints. My wife just bought the wine deal for the second time. I don't see why it wouldn't work for flying.

I don't know what you have heard Ryan. We have not used Groupon from the marketing side, but we have used it a lot from the customer side. $75 worth of wine for $25, a $125 beer tasting cruise up the Husdon River for $45. We have always been happy with the results. No complaints. My wife just bought the wine deal for the second time. I don't see why it wouldn't work for flying.
I tried to set one up about a year ago. Got a fair ways into the process, too, then decided that you basically have to be a minimum size for it to be worth exploring. Also had some friends tell about their experiences with it. It works for some people very well, but it's a gimmick that is better left to companies that can afford a good loss-leader.

Ryan

There was an article in the paper over the past weekend that made this point. Groupon issuers are not able to convert the coupon sales into repeat business. This goes far beyond aviation.

-Skip
That's what I've heard on far more than one occasion. It's great for a rush of traffic in your doors, but don't expect them to stay. I want customers who aren't looking for the cheapest deal (even though we basically are in town), but good quality. That usually comes from word of mouth referrals, and people who have already made up their minds to the point of looking for you. Also, by keeping our rates low, we are even less likely to do well with a loss-leader.

Ryan

If you do go this route, be sure that you put a limit on the number sold that will allow you to service these customers while continuing your other business. Selling 10,000 intro flight where you only get $30 for each one and only have two airplanes available isn't the way to make money or satisfy your existing customers.

I have a CFI friend in the San Antonio area and they sold a ton flights off of Groupon but I can't say how many converted to students.

As for your weight issue. I've also seen many of the groupon deals that specify certain weight restrictions. I saw one FBO that put specifically in their writing that the redeemer or combination of redeemer and guest (additional $15) couldn't exceed 300-350 pounds.

On some of the segway tours around DC, they have marketed through Groupon that each rider couldn't be over 250 lbs. Same with other tours where weight restrictions apply.

If you are concerned about that, simply make that part of your "details."

Not thinking of Groupon specifically, that's just the one everybody knows there are a couple of local outfits that do the samething here in MT (No Groupon for MT) I'm sure they'll be easy to work with and flexible with the terms so it works out for all involved.

They're not pushy at all. Really. Our spidey sense was on full alert when we stepped into it, just because it seemed too easy. The default parameters are:

You and groupon split the remainder. As noted, this can be negotiated, depending on your industry.

So, decide what items are desirable and you're willing to sell for 75% off. They're tough leads to work.

I wonder how this could work with recycled auto parts?

Now that we're into October, sales of "summer month" items such as A/C compressors will be going downhill in a hurry. That's a part type that I don't mind a discounting since that's still more than scrapping them.

And there are several other part types that are tradditionally sluggish that I'd like to see move along this way too.

I tried to set one up about a year ago. Got a fair ways into the process, too, then decided that you basically have to be a minimum size for it to be worth exploring. Also had some friends tell about their experiences with it. It works for some people very well, but it's a gimmick that is better left to companies that can afford a good loss-leader.

Ryan

I was contacted by Groupon not long after we opened our hotel on Mustang Island.

It seemed like a good idea -- but they wanted me to discount 50% off my best price, in the winter, which is the off-season. Um, our winter price is just $60/night, so I'd have to charge $30/night -- AND provide a delivered breakfast? AND split the $30 with Groupon, 50/50?

That dog don't hunt. $15 doesn't even cover my costs.

So, the salesman suggested, why not try doing a Groupon in the summer, when prices are sky-high?

Um, that's $169.95/night -- and I've got a line stretched out the door for those rooms from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Why would I give it away for half price again?

He had no answer to this problem, so we opted not to do it. The only time I need Groupon is in the off-season, and I just can't go 50% off of our already ridiculously low price.

I was contacted by Groupon not long after we opened our hotel on Mustang Island.

It seemed like a good idea -- but they wanted me to discount 50% off my best price, in the winter, which is the off-season. Um, our winter price is just $60/night, so I'd have to charge $30/night -- AND provide a delivered breakfast? AND split the $30 with Groupon, 50/50?

That dog don't hunt. $15 doesn't even cover my costs.

So, the salesman suggested, why not try doing a Groupon in the summer, when prices are sky-high?

Um, that's $169.95/night -- and I've got a line stretched out the door for those rooms from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Why would I give it away for half price again?

He had no answer to this problem, so we opted not to do it. The only time I need Groupon is in the off-season, and I just can't go 50% off of our already ridiculously low price.

We have a few local ones, while not quite as good of a discount, it's usually something I'm more interested in and a decent deal. Our local newspaper runs one and there's another small outfit that is statewide. You were also asking on another thread about marketing, I work for the State of MT office of Tourism and they have an extensive (albeit old and out of date, but we're re-writing it) website and marketing campagin that is state run and as far as I know, free for businesses in teh state of MT, Texas has to have the same. Funny thing is since its state data and public we can't really stop people from copying it and trying to use it for their own tourism sites so there are multiple clones out there that use the data and give more exposure to the businesses, which was the point....

So I decided I'd head over to the Groupon site and see what they might have in the area...

Hamburgers... nope, got that covered...
Dry cleaning... nope, that too...
Day spa... no...
Skype minutes? ... WTF? No...
Two or three different cupcake shops... God, won't these places ever die? Stupid fad.

And then I see...

$37 for one Colon Hydrotherapy Session at Colorado's Best Colonics.

Even better, they claim over 160 sold!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/colorados-best-colonics?c=dnb&p=4

Apparently South Denver is into our enemas.

I'm pretty sure I won't be partaking. No thanks.

Even funnier... Denver Groupon deals are so sparse, the website added in some place in Cabo San Lucas, and their distance engine tagged it as "16 day walk!" from Denver.

Groupon, apparently still sucks here in Denver as it did the last time I looked.

So I decided I'd head over to the Groupon site and see what they might have in the area...

Hamburgers... nope, got that covered...
Dry cleaning... nope, that too...
Day spa... no...
Skype minutes? ... WTF? No...
Two or three different cupcake shops... God, won't these places ever die? Stupid fad.

And then I see...

$37 for one Colon Hydrotherapy Session at Colorado's Best Colonics.

Even better, they claim over 160 sold!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/colorados-best-colonics?c=dnb&p=4

Apparently South Denver is into our enemas.

I'm pretty sure I won't be partaking. No thanks.

Even funnier... Denver Groupon deals are so sparse, the website added in some place in Cabo San Lucas, and their distance engine tagged it as "16 day walk!" from Denver.

Groupon, apparently still sucks here in Denver as it did the last time I looked.

I love my job.

Just whatever you do....do NOT...I repeat....NOT advertise $25 intro flights on one of those daily deal things that some of the newspapers do. Newspaper "oh you'll probably sell about 30." Result: 177 sold. Thankfully only 75% actually showed but the CFIs (including me) were worn out all summer....NO students signed up. It was all families wanting to take thier kids up for a joy ride. Very dissapointing. Talk about a complete loss in revenue. The only upside I can think of is we got our name into the public. If you're going to try something like that, I'd say to make the price a little higher but no promises on the outcome.

Just whatever you do....do NOT...I repeat....NOT advertise $25 intro flights on one of those daily deal things that some of the newspapers do. Newspaper "oh you'll probably sell about 30." Result: 177 sold. Thankfully only 75% actually showed but the CFIs (including me) were worn out all summer....NO students signed up. It was all families wanting to take thier kids up for a joy ride. Very dissapointing. Talk about a complete loss in revenue. The only upside I can think of is we got our name into the public. If you're going to try something like that, I'd say to make the price a little higher but no promises on the outcome.
I have no idea why one one even think that is a good idea. Just a good way to gridlock your schedules with flights that lose money all while tieing up resources that real students need.

People that buy those kinds of deals are not the people with the money that is needed to convert into a real student.

Last edited:
I was solicited by them 2 years ago, and probably every 30-40 days since. Its not a good deal for most on this business. The wanted me to discount an already discounted discovery flight by 50% and then split the revenue with them...:nono:

The above is right on...the folks doing this are not coming back once they hear what a real lesson cost, Moreover if you have any decent form of internet or other visibility real students will find you.

There have been several small businesses that have fallen on there sword due to their dealings with Groupon.

Last edited:
It's running OCT 19th. Will report back. If 20 people show up, they will be paid 200 bucks and they're running the ad on 5 different radio stations, figure eating 200 bucks in the process. Then there's the photos, the T-Shirts, the log books and the marke.. Ehm Ground school.

I have no idea why one one even think that is a good idea. Just a good way to gridlock your schedules with flights that lose money all while tieing up resources that real students need.

People that buy those kinds of deals are not the people with the money that is needed to convert into a real student.

I will point you in the direction of the Washington International Flight Academy in DC.

We were approached by groupon a little over a year ago and since then we have sold, in three groupon offers, over 2,800 intro flights. (I kid you not!)

With proper staffing and management, we break even on each flight and we have a 5%-6% retention rate for students. For the first 8 months we were running around 30 intro flights per day, back to back, every saturday and Sunday. (no joking there either)

Groupon has allowed our school to go from three 172's and a hangar with a classroom in the back of the airport to 6 172s, An office in the main terminal and a huge classroom.

We even have one of our students who came to us via groupon on this website...

So dont go knocking Groupon. Its an EXCELLENT marketing tool if done right! :)

I will point you in the direction of the Washington International Flight Academy in DC.

We were approached by groupon a little over a year ago and since then we have sold, in three groupon offers, over 2,800 intro flights. (I kid you not!)

With proper staffing and management, we break even on each flight and we have a 5%-6% retention rate for students. For the first 8 months we were running around 30 intro flights per day, back to back, every saturday and Sunday. (no joking there either)

Groupon has allowed our school to go from three 172's and a hangar with a classroom in the back of the airport to 6 172s, An office in the main terminal and a huge classroom.

Did you read what I quoted? I doubt you're charging $25 for the intro flight - as they did. I also did not "knock groupon".

Obviously you and your staff are on the ball. Nice to see that once in a while.

Groupon has worked well for us twice now. We've sold over 500 intros with it this year. Trick is to addd fluff so you can discount and not loose money on the deal.

Groupon has worked well for us twice now. We've sold over 500 intros with it this year. Trick is to addd fluff so you can discount and not loose money on the deal.

Sold 66 in the middle of nowhere montana. I figure some won't get around to making the drive from Missoula down to the Bitterroot Valley (30 minute drive) Hopefully a student or two come back for more.

We actually got about ten students out of the first round of 270 or so. This time we did almost 400...

With GroupOn, are you only paid on redemptions, or on all sales? Do you have to track and report to Groupon the redemption code? If so, how does that work?

With GroupOn, are you only paid on redemptions, or on all sales? Do you have to track and report to Groupon the redemption code? If so, how does that work?

I can't speak for groupon but for seize the deal you get a lump cut off of sales. The customer pays up front through the website, it's not a coupon for 50% off at the register. If I understand it correctly, in most cases, you're hoping the customer doesn't redeem the coupon. And for some strange reason, people buy these things and never use them. Seize the deal provides a list of all the coupon numbers sold along with names, when they walk in with it, you mark them off the list.

Last edited:
Groupon owes merchants 50% more money than it has cash on hand. They've got a long way to go to profitability. Not exactly a shocker, is it? Well, assuming common sense were applied.

-----

Bloomberg News, sent from my iPad.
Groupon IPO a Must as Cash Needs Climb With Investor Tally: Tech

Oct. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Groupon Inc.

That was a larger article but it didn't paste properly. Oh well. See Bloomberg for the article.

Back