"Ground Shyness"

Wow Dan, that could work both ways don't you think? Landing with fewer visual cues will naturally give the pilot less to get scared by; but a night landing without visual cues is also a good bit more challenging to accomplish.
In most cases, I'd rather see a student accomplish good normal landings in daylight, then transfer the skill to night conditions. But, as always, individuals are different. Dave's CFI knows his needs better than I do (at least I hope so) and may find the night suggestion a good approach.

Jim McSherry

Of course -- but some students are so overwhelmed by the ground "rushing up" to meet him/her that reduced cues help focus attention and remove that ground rush sensation.

This doesn't mean a lesson at 3:00 AM -- right after sunset on a well-lit, wide runway is probably the best place the begin. The student will probably be more apt to focus on seeing the skid marks than "ohmythegroundiscomingatmesofast!!!!!!!!!"

This is not a prescription -- it's an option. I'll assume the student's CFI has a bag of tricks and will work through this. But not every CFI has a big bag.

I try to match the degree of the first "pull" on the yoke to the student's degree of "ground shyness". That point of "I'm now shy" is very reproduceable and will be with the student forever. So, at 1.3 Vso if he's shy at 40 agl (and i'm a...watchin...) the first movement of the yoke is every so teeny. That tremendously lessens the "convergence" rate and that's the point the eyes go out.

I wouldn't try the night stuff yet. I want that inherent altimeter characterized and "set", after all he's gonna have to solo sometime.

Don't feel bad, I had the same issue to deal with when I first started out.
Before long, I decided to ignore the ground that lay before the runway, my first task was to see how tall or flat the runway numbers were from my current altitude, if the numbers looked too tall, I was too high, it they were squished looking or very short, I was too low, it didn't take too long to learn what the numbers and the runway should look like for a good altitude for landing.

After that, my first point to focus on was a point on the runway a little less than 1/4th of the way down the runway, then it was the point where the runway grew in view through the windshield as I got closer to the ground and as I put my focus more toward the distant centerline of the runway. After that it was a matter of slowly but evenly start pulling back on the yoke to keep the nose on the horizon, when the plane sunk farther, I just kept pulling back on the yoke just enough to keep the nose on the horizon and the next thing I knew I was making good landings.
My new technique totally took my mind off of any houses or buildings or whatever I was flying over. "Just concentrate on the runway" is what I told myself (unless there were trees to clear but you don't need to be landing over obstacles at this point).

Mastering slow flight was great for me, it taught me just how slow it could go and still not sink and the amount of throttle I added or reduced took care of that but I always maintain my speed by holding a certain amount of pitch (and adjust the elevator trim for it).

One exercise I practiced over and over was to climb to a good, safe altitude in our practice area, then set the plane up with full flaps and trim for a normal final approach speed.
I forced myself to repeatedly watch my descent rate (initially about 500 ft/min in my case), then I practiced slowing the descent rate by adding throttle a little at a time, eventually, I learned how much throttle I needed to use to slow to 400 ft/min, then 200 ft/min, etc.
It's a natural thing to want to pull back on the yoke (or stick) to slow the rate of descent but after a while you learn to leave that yoke alone except to make small movements to maintain your airspeed within a knot or two.
Then before you know it, you're instinctively using the throttle and only the throttle to adjust your rate of descent. Making your descent faster can be done by pushing the yoke forward but you wind up gaining unwanted airspeed that way, the best solution is to either go around if you feel you don't have enough runway and try it again or put the plane in a slight slip if you are comfortable doing a slip, if not, please wait till you gain more experience with slips!

I learned that if I was paying any attention to what was on the ground before the runway, I simply was not paying enough attention to the runway!
I always concentrate on the runway and my airspeed, and of course anything on the taxiway like another plane waiting to takeoff that might pull out onto the runway not realizing that I was coming in for a landing (use those landing lights even during the day).
If you only concentrate on the runway and anything near the runway, your fear of what you are flying over will soon be a thing of the past.

Lots of car wrecks have happened because drivers are trying to see the wreck instead of watching where "they're" going. It's the same idea, you are in control of the plane and when on final approach, all of your attention needs to be on the runway, your airspeed and other aircraft on or near the runway.

BTW, there has been a lot of great advice given in this thread!! :)

I hope my two cents has helped in some small way.
Hang in there, some of the best pilots out there had things like this to overcome at some point.

P.S. A friend of mine could not get over his fear of talking on the radio. One day I told him, "Hey" there's another person just like you on the other end so just talk to him or her, if you didn't understand what they said, ask him or her to repeat it a little slower, tell them that you don't hear that fast :) Then I said, "what if" you were just talking on the phone and didn't understand what the other person said, wouldn't you ask them to say it again?
After that, It wasn't long before he was doing good on the radio.

Wishing you good luck and smooth landings! :)

Joe

Don't feel bad, I had the ...
Welcome to POA, nice post. I'm sure someone will find it helpful, but I doubt the original poster is still around, with only 2 posts 6 years ago.

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

I didn't look at the age of the thread till after I wrote all those words but figured as you do that it may help someone.

Lots of people read but never post since there is such a plethora of useful information already out there.

Thanks again, I'll pitch in when I can :)

Joe

Slow flights and stalls have really helped me with that in the past. It's easy to heed the good advice of not getting too slow on final, but it's easy to do so to a fault, where in your mind you are just a shade above the airplane not flying by being on your approach speed. While practicing slow flight, take it a step beyond just flying the plane slowly. Set an altitude like 3000ft to "land" at. Fly an approach as if you were on final and practice getting slow and see what happens...

Back