• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maximus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MAXIMUS
Teaching Ground School

I am offering a ground school class at my local community college. Having never taught at this level what does the board recommend for a text book. I liked Jeppesen but would that be too expensive?

Thanks in advance
Maximus

Last edited:
I don't know about the others, but I really like my Jeppesen 141 kit. It's structured extremely well and I love the Private Pilot Manual. Plenty of visuals to help understanding of the topics as well as real life situations (particularly the NTSB reports... it's like having a "Lessons Learned" section scattered throughout the book). But I can understand that it is expensive. $237.45 at Spinners for the 141, $186.15 for the 61, both with Free Shipping. The only downside is the plotter doesn't like heat :) (I need one of those super non-warping plotters)

For reference, the most expensive book I've purchased here at Lander has been 130$ + tax. Now, personally I think the kit is a steal for the cost when you think about everything that is included, but I'm sure some people would recoil. On the opposite side, if they're recoiling from a 200$ kit for their training, how are they going to react to the costs involved in flying? For my Photography course, I had to purchase a camera and about 150$ worth of equipment. But it was a requirement for the course. It's understood that taking that course means a committment and an investment. I believe students willing to take your course will see why they need to invest in the best possible solution for their training.

Of course, the students could also possibly find 2004 kits for cheaper then purchase the 2005 FAR/AIM :)

Best of luck, I wish a school around here would offer a good ground school course.

NickDBrennan said:
I did my entire ground school reading Rod Machado's "Private Pilot Handbook." Oh yeah, and FAR/AIMs too.

I LOVE Rod Machado's book. I have the Jeppesen kit, but Rod just puts the info in so much easier to understand language. Not to mention his wacky sense of humor.. it makes a lot of the info easier to remember.

I took a class at the college taught by Diana's husband Tom and we used the Gleim books. Those and Tom's teaching taught me very well and i was ready for the test after taking a few practice tests on Sportys website.

For Test Prep for the PP-ASEL I used the King Schools videos and their Private Pilot Checkride Oral Exam prep tapes. Excellent coverage and preparatory tools for the test, including computer testing and they will authorize you to take the written if you provide them with copies of your test results. I ended up faxing my results to them, they faxed back an endorsement, and I took the test the next day for a 97%. :)

Ok from the responses I think I am going to go with rod machados book

Thanks for the input.

Maximus

maximus said:
Ok from the responses I think I am going to go with rod machados book

Thanks for the input.

Maximus

I'm not a CFI, but I have to say I think you made the right choice. The book is full of corny jokes....very very very very corny. But that corniness grows on you, and in my case, made the material much easier to remember.

Hrm.. anyone have a link to where one could purchase the Rod Machado book? I might get it as a side item to my kit.

Back