midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
I don;t think I asked this before, but I'll ask it again

So, is this the process?

1. Take ground school, by whom ever offers the school you like
2. when you are doing well on the practice tests at the ground school you schedule to take the FAA ground test.
3. If you pass you are good for 2 years?

Is that right?

mostly right,
#1 the school could just be you and your library of free pubs.

#2, you still have to get a sign-off from someone that you are ready, either your actual cfi or an online one.

Gleim online at my own pace. They issue the cert to take the test.
No humans involved.

Gleim online at my own pace. They issue the cert to take the test.
No humans involved.
This. You don't have to take any formal ground school and that goes for PPL, IR, CPL etc.

mostly right,
#1 the school could just be you and your library of free pubs.

#2, you still have to get a sign-off from someone that you are ready, either your actual cfi or an online one.

I'm pretty good at book learning, but I would like some practice questions.

There is a cottage industry of folks ready to help with test prep. By that I mean a book with questions that closely parallel the actual test, answers that have been worked out by the publishers, and explanations for those answers. The FAA does not release actual test questions or answers, but the industry as a whole does a pretty good job. The feds do offer a few crumbs...http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/PARSampleExam.pdf

I know ASA best (www.asa2fly.com) but there are programs from Sporty's, Gleim, Dauntless, etc etc. Let your Google do the walking.

Bob Gardner

Go buy a couple packs of 3x5 cards. Write your question on the front, and the answer on the back. Cheap and is very effective in preparing for the oral or just to keep current. Especially a set for the airplane systems that you fly.

Last edited:
I don;t think I asked this before, but I'll ask it again

So, is this the process?

1. Take ground school, by whom ever offers the school you like
2. when you are doing well on the practice tests at the ground school you schedule to take the FAA ground test.
3. If you pass you are good for 2 years?

Is that right?

Yeah. I think. You have 2 years between the test date and your PPL checkride. If for some reason you think your flight training will drag out you may want to delay taking the test. I don't think you need it to begin flying.

I just read a bunch of stuff, asked a bunch of questions, junked out on YouTube videos, took a lot of practice tests and then asked my CFI to sign me off. Got a 95% without having to deal with many other humans (an introvert's victory).

I just read a bunch of stuff, asked a bunch of questions, junked out on YouTube videos, took a lot of practice tests and then asked my CFI to sign me off. Got a 95% without having to deal with many other humans (an introvert's victory).

Th

That's good to know

This horse has been beaten into glue.

Try the search function OP

Go buy a couple packs of 3x5 cards. Write your question on the front, and the answer on the back. Cheap and is very effective in preparing for the oral or just to keep current. Especially a set for the airplane systems that you fly.

ankiweb.net/

Free flash card app, and you can search for other folks published packs. there are a couple ppl ones, but I am making my own.

Back