Ground school for the road...

Tinstafl

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tinstafl
I travel extensively for work, often overseas and consistently without internet connectivity. My current working plan is to be ready to dive in to my instrument training and commercial training this summer. Until then I want to study as much as possible to prepare for actual flight time later. I already have most of the necessary hard copy materials but would like to take an actual electronic ground school course along with me that is available while traveling.

I know Sporty’s course allows you to download the videos to an iPad, but not the other materials (sample questions, instructional notes, tools and text, etc). Is there a course that provides more than videos in a downloadable format?

What would you recommend to someone trying to maximize their study/learning time while traveling in remote, unconnected areas? Preferably one that doesn’t include 15 lbs of textbooks in a backpack, on a mule, or in a sled... =)

Thanks all.

Thanks, I’ll take a look. Ideally I avoid traveling with textbooks and can go digital on an iPad Mini to save weight. But it looks like that book may be a worth getting regardless.

Thanks. The ASA option is available in a Kindle which makes it fit my current needs.

I’ve been using the FAA’s “Instrument Flying Handbook” as my overview book to do this “pre-study” sort of thing that I’m engaged in now. It reads more like a reference volume than a text/study book - which makes some material a little more difficult to grasp. Would you say that the ASA option (and the Jeppesen book) both improve things in that regard?

I’d still be interested in electronic learning options that I can take on the road (iPad) if anyone has more suggestions.

Reminder: I’m very preliminary in all this and trying to adapt things to my specific work and travel requirements. Thus the basic questions. Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Thanks. The ASA option is available in a Kindle which makes it fit my current needs.

I’ve been using the FAA’s “Instrument Flying Handbook” as my overview book to do this “pre-study” sort of thing that I’m engaged in now. It reads more like a reference volume than a text/study book - which makes some material a little more difficult to grasp. Would you say that the ASA option (and the Jeppesen book) both improve things in that regard?

Yes they do. In my opinion, the ASA book has more focus and practical advice than the Jepp book.

The King IFR course should be completely downloadable on iPad. Works a treat so far.
I like the iPad format with the King course, it's pretty easy to use.
Once in a while you'll want to update the downloaded vids, etc., as they update them fairly regularly, but you don't have to in order to proceed.

One caveat... being disconnected from internet, when you play a video, it will pop up a menu asking what you want to do:

Download new video (if there are updated versions available)
Play old video - (this is the one you want to press)
Unload Old video - (this is the one NOT to press) It doesn't ask for confirmation. Ask me how I know lol. But you can just continue to the next lesson, and re-download that video next time you have a connection. Not a biggie really, King breaks the lessons into several fairly small videos so you wouldn't skip over much.

Otherwise, I like it.

Last edited:
And then he can drag around 2 books. The Jepp book is both instrument and commercial.

I don't think he's going to need to study both topics at the exact same moment in time.

I would have pointed you to Gold Method (@write-stuff's product) BUT you said you expect internet connectivity issues.

For downloadable I'd go with Sheppard.

ASA can be purchased in digital form. Those don't weigh anything.

It’s all preference, but I would down load the FAA handbooks for free before I used ASA or Gleim. I am not a Jepp fan, but the Instrument Commercial manual is really good.

It’s all preference, but I would down load the FAA handbooks for free before I used ASA or Gleim. I am not a Jepp fan, but the Instrument Commercial manual is really good.

He already has been reading the FAA books and asked for something else. Do you actually read what the thread before replying?

And why would you put the ASA Instrument Flying book in the same category as a Gleim book?

You're also the first person to call the Jepp textbook "really good", most of the forum members who have used it have a lower opinion. It's meant to look flashy and appeal to college administrators so they pick it as a textbook for a class. It's not good for self-learners.

He already has been reading the FAA books and asked for something else. Do you actually read what the thread before replying?

And why would you put the ASA Instrument Flying book in the same category as a Gleim book?

You're also the first person to call the Jepp textbook "really good", most of the forum members who have used it have a lower opinion. It's meant to look flashy and appeal to college administrators so they pick it as a textbook for a class. It's not good for self-learners.

Ok, then let me be the first to review as really good. Especially if you are going on professionally and going to use Jepp charts. Buyers on Amazon rate both books equally.

I have liked the Kershner books.

Last edited:
I generally hated Gleim but I downloaded and would play the audio group school in the car when driving which was helpful.

Hey all, super useful perspectives all around. I get that everyone studies a little differently and this gives me some new options. I’ll probably get the digital version of the ASA book for this trip (traveling remotely from roughly now until mid-February). I tried to talk to Jeppesen about how to get a digital version of theirs and it seems possible ... but good lord their purchase and digital delivery process sounds like a headache.

As long as the ASA book gives me a breakdown of some of the things that get glossed over in the FAA books then I’ll be happy.

The iOS app upthread looks interesting simply as a quiz tool that i can play around with in my spare time on the road. Will probably d/l that.

Other than that, I’ll hold off on buying any of the full ground school courses for now since none travel all that well (oops, missed the King option. looks good but ... ==>>> ) and I’m not ready to actually start training anyway. I’ll decide when I get home from this round of work.

Thanks. Hopefully useful info in this thread for other folks too.

Last edited:
Gleim has an audio version of the instrument course that has some explanatory information and then they use the precise wording of the right answer on the FAA test as the "REMEMBER THIS:" prompt. I listened to it while I was at the gym.

Back