Ground School First?

I agree with you; I’ve never looked at clouds the same. When I go driving I’m like ok there’s a stratonimbus right there and a cirrus cumulus over there...

So to date I have read the PHAK, Airplane Flying Handbook, Risk Management, Instrument Flying Handbook, some of the Instrument Procedures Handbook, and a lot of the AIM. The problem is that I don't retain knowledge all that well that I read. I do much better with visual forms of learning (King Videos, etc). Some people are the opposite and learn best by reading. I'm glad I read through the books and I certainly learned a lot, but I would not have felt comfortable with just reading the FAA Handbooks and taking the written...simply because I don't retain the knowledge as well as other forms of learning. But you fellas are much older and wiser and smarter than me so I digress :)
My school encourages youtube videos. I have looked at a few. I will be looking at all the things posted in this thread as well. I am both visual and hands on. Those straight knowledge books made me question my sanity. I was standing in the pilot store wondering what I got myself into until she showed me the Cessna flight bag.

My school encourages youtube videos. I have looked at a few. I will be looking at all the things posted in this thread as well. I am both visual and hands on. Those straight knowledge books made me question my sanity. I was standing in the pilot store wondering what I got myself into until she showed me the Cessna flight bag.

Your gonna get a lot of flack from folks on here about watching YouTube videos but I agree that there are great resources on there. I have a lot of guys I subscribe to on YouTube and I have learned a lot from all of them.

I think the FAA books are actually really good, but I can understand where your coming from. I struggle to sit down and read something for very long.

Jeppesen has the best book. Good photographs and lots of them. Good questions in the back of the chapter. Worth the price.

Your gonna get a lot of flack from folks on here about watching YouTube videos but I agree that there are great resources on there. I have a lot of guys I subscribe to on YouTube and I have learned a lot from all of them.

I think the FAA books are actually really good, but I can understand where your coming from. I struggle to sit down and read something for very long.
I honestly watch them for entertainment more than learning. The only ones that I was seeking information from were what was sent on here. I viewed the Embry-Riddle Ones. I have 2 that I watch. MrAviation101 and RedDevilSquadron.

Jeppesen has the best book. Good photographs and lots of them. Good questions in the back of the chapter. Worth the price.
I'm not sure what the book was that she was showing me because it reminded me of dorm room days and I ran as fast as I could!

Back