Ground School Books

BubbaScott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BubbaScott
Was curious to see if ya'll could suggest which manuals besides the FAA manuals to get for a beginner. Im looking at Amazon and am totally baffled. Don't know Adam from Eve on this. Could use ya'lls suggestion on it.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeppesen is extremely dry in presentation though it has the necessary info.

Machado's books are entertaining at least and good in terms of content.

Bob Gardner (who posts on POA and always has sound advice) has a series of training books. In general they are much better than Jeppesen.

I don't know that the books were that useful in general. Get one of the test prep systems to pass the written. Get a copy of the FAR/AIM. Read the freebies from the FAA. See where you are in terms of knowledge during training and go from there.

While the language is archaic and it doesn't address "the test" as such, there is a reason "Stick and Rudder" has been in print since 1944.

Any pilot who hasn't read this is missing out.

Whichever one your instructor/flight school wants you to use. Sticking with the book your training provider normally uses makes it a lot easier to integrate your ground training with your flight training.

That said, if they don't have a recommendation, the next question is how you like to learn. Some folks do well with books, others with lecture-type DVD's, others with computer-based interactive systems, and still others need a structured classroom environment with a live instructor. So, which of those floats your learning boat?

I used Gleim, I bought it in a kit when I started lessons. It came with the books, a log book, plotter, E6B, and a flight bag. Its good material, but ditto to what Ron said, use whatever your school uses, i would say they are all good.

Last edited:
I used Gleim, I bought it in a kit when I started lessons. It came with the books, a log book, plotter, E6B, and a flight bag. Its good material, but ditto to what Ron said, use whatever your school uses, i would say they are all good.

I'm using the Gleim kit, too. Material is dry but they do a great job of preparing you. I'm also reading Bob Gardner's "The Complete Private Pilot" which is a great read and after that I'm going to read "Say Again..." I've read Machado's "Private Pilot Handbook" and it's a great ease-you-in book. I've also got a book by Michael Hays called "Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide" that I haven't read yet.

Point is: Read. A Lot.

From what I hear it will greatly help in tour flight training. And take some flight lessons while you're studying the ground school. The training I will be doing doesn't have a ground school (although there is talk of one coming) so I chose the Gleim. If you are in a Part 141 ground school you'll have to use what they use like Ron & Ryan said. If you're doing your own ground school like I am - just pick whatever you feel comfortable with. (Obviously make sure the FAA recognizes the curriculum.) There are SO many books, apps, websites that you can use. Some cost, some don't. (I'm about $300 in so far on books/ground school.) I'm going the "read everything I can" route.

Back