Ground reference maneuvers ?

alland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alland
Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can help with the answer to a question I have been asked on a pre solo practice exam.

"Can you practice ground reference maneuvers when you are within Class D airspace ?"

Despite looking through Part 91 & AIM, I can't find a difinitive answer or any explanation

Yes. Since the turns in the pattern are ground reference maneuvers you can practice to make them perfect.

When doing a series of touch and go's, try for perfection.

Yes. Since the turns in the pattern are ground reference maneuvers you can practice to make them perfect.

When doing a series of touch and go's, try for perfection.

Thank you kgruber, I appreciate your help :thumbsup:

It has been my experience that tower controllers will let you do just about anything in their airspace if you tell them what you intend to do and where you want to do it (plus altitude). It just makes it easier for them to warn other flights about your activities.

Bob Gardner

It has been my experience that tower controllers will let you do just about anything in their airspace if you tell them what you intend to do and where you want to do it (plus altitude). It just makes it easier for them to warn other flights about your activities.

Bob Gardner

Thanks for your input Bob, I'll remember that.

Hi Alland,

Welcome to the site and thank you for the question.

In general, pre-solo exams are customized by each individual instructor for each individual student. At least they are tailored to your particular area and type of airport and airplane.

It is very difficult to get standardized advice about pre-solo exams. This question has so many possible answers that it seems to me that you were probably prepped for that specific question. Maybe your instructor has set some rules about where you can do that, or is looking for something specific that he has told you, but you will get many answers here about what you can and can't do in controlled airspace, but keep in mind the instructor may place any restrictions on a student, and the pre-solo exam is a way to document the student understands those restrictions.

Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can help with the answer to a question I have been asked on a pre solo practice exam.

"Can you practice ground reference maneuvers when you are within Class D airspace ?"

Despite looking through Part 91 & AIM, I can't find a difinitive answer or any explanation

I was recently asked the same question on a pre-solo flight test and I live in the East Coast we are practically in Tyrolea and controlled airspace so there's no way that you could not do ground reference maneuvers

Back