Ground Instructor

RossFischer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyin Fisch
So I got asked to obtain a ground instructor certificate. I say yes because:

1.$25 bucks an hour, not bad for a senior in high school.
2. I'm not shooting for any new ratings/endorsements/certificates at the moment because of OU wanting me to wait till I get there ('nother story)
3. Obtaining a CFI and using it is inevitable in my career path, might as well get a heads up on it and only have to take 25 written questions when I'm busy in college and going for my CFI
4. I'm forced to learn more....how can you beat that?

I would like to get my AGI.

The AGI is only 20 more questions than the BGI, so why not go for the AGI?

What do you guys think? Has anyone here obtained an AGI or BGI? What should I expect, yada yada.

Thanks!

I heard to go for the AGI (worth the extra 20 questions) as it allows you to also give the required ground instruction for flight reviews. I plan to get the AGI and IGI next year as well, after I turn 18 and take the FOI written exam.

I've also heard from a few CFII's that having the AGI and IGI certificates sometimes knocks some time off the initial CFI oral.

Fisch,

Getting your IGI/AGI is a great experience. Any type of instruction you give will help you to increase your knowledge of aviation, however remember that your students are just that...students. They are going to rely on you for information. You are not a textbook, and will not know every single answer. And that's okay! Admit when you don't know, but definitely make a serious attempt to learn everything you can before you get in the classroom. Students will value your words more so when they know you aren't making up answers, as all too many instructors - both flight and ground - do. Remember that there is much more to know about flying than what is printed in those exam guides...but being a private pilot, you already know that.

If your going for your BGI, do the extra studying and get the AGI. You'll be able to do a few more things, and if you plan on going for your CFI later...you'll need to know it anyway.

Make notes as your going through your study guides. Acronyms and abbreviations are everything...especially when your forced to remember all sorts of information! (You'll learn more about that in your FOI book)

Overall, it's a very good opportunity to learn. If you have a chance to put it to use, as it seems you do, then by all means do jump on the chance. Make sure you glance through the FAR and look over GI certificates and what's required for to have it issued and to keep current.

When your ready, make an appointment with the FSDO and take your FOI and AGI/IGI written results. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

God bless,
P4C

Did they fix the issue where the AGI conferred instrument privileges?

Yup, it's no longer allowed; you have to have the IGI for any instrument stuff.

Go for the AGI. Forget the BGI even exists, it's basically worthless. You get more privileges with the AGI (all of them useful) and the test isn't exactly difficult. And as Tony can tell you, you can't get your gold seal without an AGI/IGI.

I got my AGI when I had only my private to do some ground on the side. Didn't get to use it much at the time, but actually started to use it a lot more toward the end of college/in the year or so after college before I went off to get the rest of my tickets. It's a great thing to have, and I'd absolutely recommend it.

As others have said, do the AGI and IGI and skip the BGI. I got mine about a year ago, and am only now starting to actually get ready to use it. In fact, I get some good ideas for lesson topics from the board! This way you'll get the FOI stuff out of the way and can get some experience actually instructing.

You won't learn too much going for the certificates themselves, but be prepared to learn from your students. And don't be afraid to admit that you don't know something!

And, if you read the regulations carefully, an argument can be made (and was made by the DuPage FSDO), that you're not legal to start exercising the privileges of that GI certificate until you've been signed off by another instructor! I'll leave it as an exercise to the student to determine why they may see it that way! :)

When was this done? references. please
I know that it was in the latest proposal for rulemaking, though I didn't know that it had gone through.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20071800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-1467.htm said:
(76) Proposal to allow only a ground instructor with an instrument
rating to give ground training for the issuance of an instrument rating
and instrument proficiency check and a recommendation for the knowledge
test required for an instrument rating.

The FAA proposes to amend Sec. 61.215(b) to provide that only a
certified ground instructor with an instrument rating may give ground
training for the issuance of an instrument rating and instrument
proficiency check and a recommendation for the knowledge test required
for an instrument rating. Existing Sec. 61.215(b) mistakenly permits a
person who holds only an advanced ground instructor (AGI) certificate
to give instrument training. The aeronautical knowledge subject areas
for the AGI certificate do not cover instrument subjects on the
knowledge test. Only the aeronautical knowledge subject areas for the
instrument ground instructor (IGI) certificate cover instrument
subjects. Authorizing instrument privileges to a holder of only an
AGI certificate is not appropriate.
Comments were due by May 8, 2007

The eCFR site is down right now:
Code:
 No space left on device at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Session/Lock/File.pm line 62.     (in cleanup) No space left on device at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Session/Lock/File.pm line 62.
but I don't see the updated verbiage in my most recent printed 2008 FAR/AIM, which has a regulation date of August 2007.

Last edited:
And, if you read the regulations carefully, an argument can be made (and was made by the DuPage FSDO), that you're not legal to start exercising the privileges of that GI certificate until you've been signed off by another instructor! I'll leave it as an exercise to the student to determine why they may see it that way! :)

I think you are referring to § 61.217,now that I read it again I might agree w/ Dupage .. Now I gotta call the FSDO and turn myself in...........

I think you are referring to § 61.217,now that I read it again I might agree w/ Dupage .. Now I gotta call the FSDO and turn myself in...........
Yup, that's it. I was questioning them on whether I'd be legal to teach after having received the certificate, because my reading was that I would not be, and that was their reading as well. Of course, they had to poll two-thirds of the inspectors on duty to come to a consensus! This should probably be another of those regulations that should be changed. I mean, what's the point of the FAA certifying you to instruct if they then immediately defer to another instructor to validate their decision?

Yup, that's it. I was questioning them on whether I'd be legal to teach after having received the certificate, because my reading was that I would not be, and that was their reading as well. Of course, they had to poll two-thirds of the inspectors on duty to come to a consensus! This should probably be another of those regulations that should be changed. I mean, what's the point of the FAA certifying you to instruct if they then immediately defer to another instructor to validate their decision?

I am sure the INTENT was for those that were inactive for a spell
after receiving their certificate.

I bet Ed Guthrie's buddy, (the FAQ guru @FAA) has a colored opinion of this .

Last edited:
The eCFR site is down right now:
Code:
 No space left on device at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Session/Lock/File.pm line 62.     (in cleanup) No space left on device at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Session/Lock/File.pm line 62.
but I don't see the updated verbiage in my most recent printed 2008 FAR/AIM, which has a regulation date of August 2007.

Still the same old verbiage.
e-CFR Data is current as of December 27, 2007
§ 61.215 Ground instructor privileges.
b) A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:

(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part;

(2) Ground training required for any flight review; and

(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate.

Thanks for the info, guys. You backed up all my thoughts and gave me a new one with the 61.217 reference!

Back