Ground Frequency?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Off hand does anyone know what frequency I can use to communicate on the ground at an uncontrolled field? I want to do a demo and don't want to gum up the CTAF.

AdamZ said:
Off hand does anyone know what frequency I can use to communicate on the ground at an uncontrolled field? I want to do a demo and don't want to gum up the CTAF.

Communicate with whom and for how long? You may want to use an air-to-air frequency if your usage is short, but remember that this use of the frequency is not IAW FCC regulations.

-Skip

You mean to communication while ON the ground, not necessarily TO Ground control ?

I don't think there is a specific frequency assigned for that - AIM 4-1-11 provides an 'air-to-air' frequency of 122.750 or 122.850, and we use 122.750 in the practice area.

123.300 and 123.500 are designated 'Aviation Instruction' - you could possibly use those too ?

(looks for Cap'n Ron :D )

The truth is that you could use almost any frequency. I'd find one that is not used by any nearby field. The FCC isn't going to come after you and you'd have to use your full names or other identifiers for someone listening to catch you.

Back in my Amateur radio days, we'd do fox hunts to find transmitters but it would be rare for someone to pull that on you. :)

Basically just find a freq. that you won't interfere with anyone else and I doubt anyone will complain.

Steve said:
I may be mistaken, but I believe it is illegal to transmit using a handheld radio that is not used in conjunction with an N number or fixed base operation unless pre-arranged with ATC (not that that has ever stopped anyone).

I suggest using multicom (122.9) especially if it's the CTAF. And the handheld probaly ought to use the tail number from a plane you know isn't in the air at the time. That way it appears to be a proper use of the frequency for whatever that's worth.

Back