Groceries and Gas....

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Just finished grocery shopping for the week,.. and I don't like the trend. Out at the pumps, regular gas is 3.98 - 4.05 around Lansdale, with some places higher. As I was at the milk aisle, 1 gallon of 1% milk was 3.98 for one brand,... 4.15 for another. Ouch. :dunno:

One cart, our light week, and I still crossed $105. :redface:

I pulled into a gas station with the RV a few weeks ago. The guy across from me asked if it was near empty. I said yes. He said bend over dude. I'm riding the wheels off the motorcycle this summer.

I use to take $20 to the grocery store and always got change. Now I take $60 for roughly the equivalent amount of stuff and sometimes they want more. There's a reason I go to two stores. I know which store has the lowest price for what I typically need.

I find it interesting, or more accurately extremely annoying, that it took almost 100 years for the gas prices to go up a dollar. Now it goes up a dollar every time you blink. Something just isn't right with that...

At a station here by the airport, it's 3.93. On the other corner of town, it's 3.77. If I spend a $100 at Kroger's I get a dime break per gallon. That's a couple months of grocieries for me the way I eat.

It's offical. I'm walking or biking to work (depending on the amount of showers forcast... I can hold an umbrella while walking and I hate the water up the butt that happends on a bike in the rain). The car is offically parked.

Gotta love those stupid Dairy price supports, eh?!

Dairy - up.

Gas - up.

Purdue says to expect approx 20% increase in chicken prices.

Smithfield Meats said something about 15% increases on the other white meat.

Vegetables - up.

No kidding.

Our last CEO got a $7mil USD bonus and then was fired. It seems that his bonus could not be withheld for poor performance according to his contract!!!

That just annoys the heck out of me!
Blame that on the idiots on the board who made the deal. The other signatures on that contract should be canned by the shareholders.

I paid $2.50 for a gallon of vit-D milk this week. Neener, neener, neener.

Dairy - up.

Gas - up.

Purdue says to expect approx 20% increase in chicken prices.

Smithfield Meats said something about 15% increases on the other white meat.

Vegetables - up.

"But Bill, core inflation is only forecast at 2.1%!" Have you seen the latest headline numbers? Scary...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Milk prices. Funny thing is the dairy farmer is doing less well (as if dairy farmers ever do "well") with these prices than he was when they were quite a bit lower. Why? Grain, fertz, and other input prices are up hugely.
Lots of unhappy faces at the co-op last week.

Just finished grocery shopping for the week,.. and I don't like the trend. Out at the pumps, regular gas is 3.98 - 4.05 around Lansdale, with some places higher. As I was at the milk aisle, 1 gallon of 1% milk was 3.98 for one brand,... 4.15 for another. Ouch. :dunno:

One cart, our light week, and I still crossed $105. :redface:

Our wholesale prices and our freight and fuel surcharges have gone
up dramatically since the first of the year. It's really driving up the
food prices.

...and we're forced by ADM - ummm, I mean, by Congress - to burn corn-based ethanol, driving up pollution, food cost, fuel cost and fuel consumption, at the same time. Such a deal.

"But Bill, core inflation is only forecast at 2.1%!" Have you seen the latest headline numbers? Scary...

It's statistics. Need I say more?

(I, too, can make the number be whatever I want it to be simply by judicious selection of the input set).

to burn corn-based ethanol, driving up pollution

I thought the whole point of ethanol was to spray paint the inside of your carburetor with white sludge, um, reduce pollution.

It's a classic case of sibling rivalry. There are no truces, just escalation on all sides.

53mpg today (60 if it wasn't for ethanol) so neener neener neener...

It's a shame that whatever better mileage I get with the MINI I'm ordering will be completely negated by the fact that I have to put premium in it, and the slight increase in my monthly payment.

Oh well :D

Get a motorcycle. Better mileage. More fun. Cheaper.

Don't wear a face shield and the bugs will provide additional protein thus lowering your grocery bill! ;)

Though one accident and your hospital bill may be a larger worry. "Whaddaya mean there's a delivery charge for my new liver?"

Though one accident and your hospital bill may be a larger worry. "Whaddaya mean there's a delivery charge for my new liver?"

If you get tboned by a Suburban, Excursion, Hummer, etc, in your Mini, it won't be much different than having an accident on a cycle. Though I might take my chances on the bike.

If you get tboned by a Suburban, Excursion, Hummer, etc, in your Mini, it won't be much different than having an accident on a cycle. Though I might take my chances on the bike.

Touche! Hopefully the gas prices will minimize that possibility :D

I wouldn't mind getting a Donkevoort. Mostly because I like saying it. :D

001__scaled_600_036.jpg

It's a shame that whatever better mileage I get with the MINI I'm ordering will be completely negated by the fact that I have to put premium in it, and the slight increase in my monthly payment.

Oh well :D

I know that feeling. Last year I bought a 350Z. It has to have a
premium diet. Oh well .. the fun factor is worth it and the mileage
ain't that bad for a car like that ... 22 city and 28 to 30 hiway.

Having the Harley to ride when the weather permits sure helps.

RT

Speaking from experience, you are absolutely correct. Only injuries were orthopedic in nature, but they haven't fully recovered (and it's been 34+ years). Be careful out there. Motorcycles are invisible to too many drivers.

Back