Grob Windscreen Replacement

K

KennyFlys

Well, I've been charged with another task...

We have a Grob G115C that needs a windscreen. I began talking to Grob last week and got the initial information on costs. We're looking at over two grand for the windscreen and the associated materials for replacement. Tack on another estimated four grand between labor, the Grob's flight to and from and airline tickets two and from.

It appears that after a decade of students and others hanging on to the top of the windscreen, stress cracks have developed and though it's still pretty strong, we fear a liability by itself. On top of that, we want to sell it and no one will look at it seriously as long as the WS needs replaced.

As you may know, it's a composite aircraft. You can't tell where the airframe ends and the windscreen begins short of white to clear. So far, I'm learning it's going to take over 45 hours labor over two weeks.

We have one recommendation for a good composite guy Grob has even recommended. Who else might we find in a reasonable distance from South Texas, say under a thousand miles and without flying over 10,000 feet to get there?

Thanks for all the help and all the knowledge I'll gain for this.

Oh, and should anyone be interested in buying the Grob.... by all means! :) There are only fourteen on the FAA registry plus a G115C2 whatever that may be.

It's really a cool airplane. I loved flying it in the short time I had. I think I scared my fellow CFI because I made that stall horn scream pretty good during slow flight. A few students have loved it. But, most are wanting the Skyhawk so that's what we're leaning toward... just buying a couple more Skyhawks. This is another task I have; seeking out purchase options.

There is a fellow in Moriarty, NM who is pretty well known for composite glider repairs. Im pretty sure his name is George Applebay, his company is Applebay Aviation.

Back