Grillin' and Chillin'

Carol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Carol
Aw, man. You guys are so outed on this one.

You make grilling seem like such a big, complicated deal. We girls would never go near it for fear of burning something important.

But what happens when you have a really nice filet and the oven just won't do it justice?

Well, let's see. Put the charcoals in, squirt this stuff on them, throw in a lighted match. WHOOSH. Oops, maybe a little too much. Oh, well. I didn't need those eyelashes. Umm, guess I should put this grill thing on top and let it get sterilized. Wait 20 minutes or so. Have a cocktail while waiting for the coals to get just right. Put the filet on top. Three minutes each side (your mileage may vary). WOW. This ain't so hard.

Oh yeh, and women don't fly either B)

Carol said:

You make grilling seem like such a big, complicated deal. We girls would never go near it for fear of burning something important.

But what happens when you have a really nice filet and the oven just won't do it justice?

Well, let's see. Put the charcoals in, squirt this stuff on them, throw in a lighted match. WHOOSH. Oops, maybe a little too much. Oh, well. I didn't need those eyelashes. Umm, guess I should put this grill thing on top and let it get sterilized. Wait 20 minutes or so. Have a cocktail while waiting for the coals to get just right. Put the filet on top. Three minutes each side (your mileage may vary). WOW. This ain't so hard.

We all knew it was easy, Carol ;) We just didn't want "the wimmin" to know that...

Now here's the real test. Anybody can grill, but BBQ rules! A nice pork butt, secret rub, smoke at maybe 225 for 12 hours (your choice of wood), take it out, pull it, serve with top secret finishing sauce. And corn on the cob, and of course a brew or two. Possibly three or more.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it :cheers:

RotaryWingBob said:
We all knew it was easy, Carol ;) We just didn't want "the wimmin" to know that...

Now here's the real test. Anybody can grill, but BBQ rules! A nice pork butt, secret rub, smoke at maybe 225 for 12 hours (your choice of wood), take it out, pull it, serve with top secret finishing sauce. And corn on the cob, and of course a brew or two. Possibly three or more.

Excellent point. I guess what I did was the equivalent of taxiing a trainer aircraft after observing numerous pros first hand over time.

You are talking about some complex/high performance stuff there. I acknowledge and respect the vast difference :D

Oh, I do declare. Where's my fan? I am having the vapors :princess:

Doing justice to a nice slab of pigsicles is a little more involved also. The prep for ribs starts the night before they go into the Weber. Pull the membrane from the bone side of the ribs. Coat liberally with the rub of your choice. ( I make my own.) Wrap tightly and refridgerate overnight. After coals are ready fill the drip pan with apple juice, place ribs on rack and cook using indirect heat until coals die. I like using mesquite or oak chips. I have a little cherry wood squirreled away for testing. :yes:

Carol said:

Carol, dear, we need to have a chat about that "squirt this stuff on them"...

Cheers,

-Andrew

RotaryWingBob said:

Oh yes sir ree. Butts and shoulders on the smoker are very close to nirvana. I spent my afternoon on the coast of ME (Islesford, ME), scouting out our wedding site eating smoked chicken and freshly steamed lobsters. Had a real ale or two, too.

Mmmmmmm, now I'm hungry!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Frank Browne said:
Doing justice to a nice slab of pigsicles is a little more involved also. The prep for ribs starts the night before they go into the Weber. Pull the membrane from the bone side of the ribs. Coat liberally with the rub of your choice. ( I make my own.) Wrap tightly and refridgerate overnight. After coals are ready fill the drip pan with apple juice, place ribs on rack and cook using indirect heat until coals die. I like using mesquite or oak chips. I have a little cherry wood squirreled away for testing. :yes:
Yeah, buying rub is like having someone fly your airplane for you...

You know, I've never tried oak. I would think oak, particulary white oak, would make a pretty strongly flavored smoke (of course, mesquite does as well). Cherry is nice, but try hickory or apple some time.

You've got me to thinkin' Frank, a whole mess of ribs this weekend sure would taste good :yes:

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
Yeah, buying rub is like having someone fly your airplane for you...

You know, I've never tried oak. I would think oak, particulary white oak, would make a pretty strongly flavored smoke (of course, mesquite does as well). Cherry is nice, but try hickory or apple some time.

You've got me to thinkin' Frank, a whole mess of ribs this weekend sure would taste good :yes:

You ain't just a'whistlin Dixie there Bob! I'm working up quit an appetite just thinking about it!
:yes: :yes:

Mesquite and hickory is what I use most because It's available at the grocery store. I'd love to try apple but haven't seen it anywhere. :dunno:

If you don't have any of that "stuff" to squirt on the charcoal, you can sump a fuel tank. 100LL works pretty well. You just have to stand back....way back....when you toss the match on.

Don't ask me how I know...

(Pyro) Carolyn (I do the grilling, Larry does the dishes :) )

Razor said:
If you don't have any of that "stuff" to squirt on the charcoal, you can sump a fuel tank. 100LL works pretty well. You just have to stand back....way back....when you toss the match on.

Has anybody seen that commercial for some brand of window? Two ladies are standing inside chatting about how nice the new windows are. In the backyard is the husband trying to get the gas grill lit. After much fumbling the grill falls over catches fire and he sprays water on it. Grill explodes and goes flying through the air. Narrator says something about maybe one day actually looking through the windows. That commercial cracks me up!
:rofl: :rofl:

Since BBQ is regional - you use what's local. Kansas City uses mainly hickory for the base heat/flavor, then apple to mellow the bitterness. Also, oak, maple, pecan, whatever. Some folks use different blends for brisket vs. ribs vs. butts.

But, oh yeah, tending the smoker for 8-12 hrs and dispatching cold ones along the way is not a bad life.

Matt

Razor said:

Gezz Carolyn, Don't you see those BIG Lawyer billboards about lead paint all over Detroit......

100LL on food.........OMG................... LOL

Have you been watching Zero the master griller?

Carol said:
Excellent point. I guess what I did was the equivalent of taxiing a trainer aircraft after observing numerous pros first hand over time.

You are talking about some complex/high performance stuff there. I acknowledge and respect the vast difference :D

Oh, I do declare. Where's my fan? I am having the vapors :princess:

It's not often that I actually laugh out loud reading a post. Full credit goes to the lady in red.

Razor said:

My favorite is the guy from Purdue University who held the record for preparing a charcoal grill in the shortest amount of time. The engineering department there used to have these annual contests to see who could get a grill ready the fastest. This guy, his name is George Gobel, won the honors with 60 pounds of charcoal, a lit cigarette as an ignition source then he carefully, using a 10 foot long pole, poured 5 gallons of liquid Oxygen onto the charcoal. Whooooooooooosh, in 3 seconds he burned off 40 of the 60 pounds of charcoal and any paint that may have been on the heavy duty grill and he was left with 20 pounds of coals that were ready for cooking. He tried that once with a cheap Costco grill that was vaporized as soon as the Lox was poured on.

I understand that once the local fire department found out about this activity any future parties of that nature were banned. He used to have a web site with full details, pictures and even mpeg movies of the event. But it looks like that's gone now too. But it was a sight to see.

Jeannie

wsuffa said:
Jeannie,

Try here:

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Apparently the school administrators have no sense of humor :no:

Hey, thank you. I was so disappointed the last time I tried to find his site. You're right, the school administrators have no sense of humor at all. I guess they felt it didn't present a good image for the school.

Jeannie

Eamon said:
Gezz Carolyn, Don't you see those BIG Lawyer billboards about lead paint all over Detroit......

See, one more reason to use mogas. I know that old thread is still here somewhere. ;)

Maverick said:
....This guy, his name is George Gobel.....

THE George Gobel??? Nah, couldn't be.

Carol said:
THE George Gobel??? Nah, couldn't be.

Definitely not the George Gobel you're thinking of. I do remember him too. I guess I'm kinda dating myself with that comment though.

Jeannie

Eamon said:

Have you been watching Zero the master griller?

LOL... well, it all burns off before the coals are ready for the steaks... :D

Zero sure does cook up a good steak doesn't he?

Carolyn (what lawyer billboards? ;) )

Maverick said:
Definitely not the George Gobel you're thinking of. I do remember him too. I guess I'm kinda dating myself with that comment though.

Jeannie

I was a very observant infant :rofl:

Frank Browne said:
Has anybody seen that commercial for some brand of window? Two ladies are standing inside chatting about how nice the new windows are. In the backyard is the husband trying to get the gas grill lit. After much fumbling the grill falls over catches fire and he sprays water on it. Grill explodes and goes flying through the air. Narrator says something about maybe one day actually looking through the windows. That commercial cracks me up!
:rofl: :rofl:

Anderson windows, if I remember correctly. That commericial cracks me up, too. :D

Razor said:

Reminds me of my misspent youth touring around on motorcycles. I had a perfect one match starting system for campfires...

Build the fire style of your choice -- log cabin or whatever. Drink a cold beer. When you've finished the beer, flex the can back and forth until it breaks into halves. Siphon a half inch of gas out of the tank into the intact half of the beer can. Place it under your fire. Step back a little and toss in a match. Have another beer while you wait for the fire to settle down.

Worked every time :yes:

Carol said:
WOW. This ain't so hard.

Carol, at some point you will realize that the kitchen does NOT extend to the deck or back yard. I've purposely ruined entire meals, vacuum cleaners and home improvement projects in order to feign incompetence just to get out of that stuff. Stay out of our turf, and we'll stay out of yours. (Please refer to the above list). :)

Back