Greetings frpm IDP

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
Hi ya'll. I'm at the cessna factory in Independence, KS awaiting delivery of a new 172g1000 that I've been hired to ferry back to Boston. The folks here are very nice...they treat you like royalty, even if you are just a lowly ferry pilot. Free coffee, lunch, snacks, pilot lounge, internet, and they give me a freaking brand new plane at the end of the day. HAHA!
I should be outta here around 5pmish, and I'm going to fly to Illinois this evening, where I'll get a motel room for a few hours of sleep, then tomorrow, up early, off to Franklin, PA to refuel, then home. The wx is supposed to stay VFR the whole way, which is a relief (although I'm going to file IFR anyway, just because I'm a knucklhead, and want the nice ATC people to keep an eye on me).
Anway, this will be the longest X/C flight I've done do date, and I'm excited that I get to do it in a nice new plane, on days where the weather is nice. All I need now is some foxy farmer's daughter that needs a ride to Boston to show up, and this will be a perfect day. My pick up line will be,
" Hey baby, I'm a ferry pilot"
and she'll say, "you're a fairy pilot?"
haha
later

deafsound said:
All I need now is some foxy farmer's daughter that needs a ride to Boston to show up, and this will be a perfect day.

Oh, I know I'm going to get in trouble for this, but here goes....

Make sure you check the weight and balance... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

wsuffa said:
Oh, I know I'm going to get in trouble for this, but here goes....

Make sure you check the weight and balance... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

haha, you mean hers, right? her balance is pretty good, and she weighs around 112#. Smells like corn.
Anyway, I've been through the inspection and the test flight, and I'm good to go, except they installed the wrong seats in the plane. So they are putting the correct ones in now, and in an hour or so, I should be on my way. The winds are whipping from the southwest---almost a direct tailwind for my first stop, which is in Lawrenceville, IL (KLWV). I'll stay over night there tonight, recharge, and head back to BED tomorrow.

I do have a camera, but there's not a lot of stuff to look at out here....very flat...the flattest I've ever flown over actually. I'll take some photos tho.

If any of you guys get bored, and wanna follow along, the tail # is 1158Q.

See ya'll later

Re: Greetings from IDP

Well, if you run into any problems and need a place to stay on the way home, we aren't too far from Independence. :)

David,
If you want to push it a little north and stop at 1C5 - Bolingbrook, IL (Chicago area), we can put you up for the night. We're only 5 miles from the airport. PM me if you want my cell (or Google my name and you'll find it on my resume :))
-- Grant

Thanks for the offers of places to stay. I wish I could've, but I'm home now. The flights went fine. I logged more time on autopilot than I ever have before. I'm off for the night, but I'll regale you all with the boring details at another time.

It was a fun errand. I spent about 18 hours in KS, during which, I was sleeping, eating, touring the factory, doing the acceptance inspection of the airplane, and drinking coffee. You guys may have heard that cessna was delivering their (and the) very first VLJ on wednesday. I have the pround distinction of taking delivery of the last plane from cessna in the pre-VLJ world. Silly, but cool.

So all was OK and I loaded my luggage into the plane and headed east. 1st stop was Lawrenceville, IL. I flew over St. Louis that evening about 1.5hours into the flight. Bright lights, big city. Had good tailwinds most of the way, and hit 163kts at one point. I was cooking. At lawrenceville, the FBO loaned me the crew car and sent me to the local Super 8.

The next morning, after a fitful night of rest, (i turned the heat up too high in the motel room) I headed northeast towards Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Youngstown, Ohio, where I crossed the border to PA and landed in Franklin. Stopped there for some fuel and a chart that I didn't have, filed a flight plan back to Bedford, climbed in the plane and left. Flew over the scranton, PA area, when the after asking ATC for any direct they could give me, they cleared me to DREEM, which is an intersection that's 20nm or so from BED. So I got a nice 200nm direct clearance.
There were serious headwinds the whole way, and I tried to avoid them by changing altitude, but no luck. Headwinds, headwinds headwinds. At one point there were 41kts direct headwinds. I was going 90 freakin kt GS. A friend of mine saw me on flightaware and sent me an email when I was going 90kts that said "There you are flying over PA, going 90 kts! Don't Stall!" (I got this later, not in the airplane). Made for a long flight home, and I was wondering if I really was going to need to make a fuel stop or not. There were plenty of opportunties along the way, so I wasn't too worried. BED was reporting VFR, but had they been IFR, I would've stopped and filled the tanks a but. Anyway, I landed uneventfully (albeit lower on fuel than I usually like) at Bedford around 7pm. I spent around 9 hours sitting in the little plane on Wednesday. You know how it is boring driving thru ohio? well, same goes for flying over it too. Indiana was pretty much the same. Boring. But I was happy to be flying, and it's the longest flight I've flown to date. Hopefully the people who hired me will hire me to do more. It was fun.
Hope you're not all asleep right now. I think I bored myself writing it.

Pretty cool, Dave. Just so you don't feel bad about making an uneventful flight, superior pilots are supposed to make uneventful flights.:yes:

Now the obligatory cheap shot: I'm not even jealous. Brand new plane, G-1000, long x/c, paid. Still a Cessna though.:rolleyes:

Richard said:
Pretty cool, Dave. Just so you don't feel bad about making an uneventful flight, superior pilots are supposed to make uneventful flights.:yes:

Now the obligatory cheap shot: I'm not even jealous. Brand new plane, G-1000, long x/c, paid. Still a Cessna though.:rolleyes:

Haha. Yeah. Well, beggars can't be choosers, can they?

wsuffa said:
Make sure you check the weight and balance...
Longitudinal or Lateral? :confused:

If you're a well-trained pilot, you should be able to accomplish this by long hand and leave the E6B out of it. :goofy:

deafsound said:
I flew over St. Louis that evening about 1.5hours into the flight. Bright lights, big city. Had good tailwinds most of the way, and hit 163kts at one point. I was cooking.

At one point there were 41kts direct headwinds. I was going 90 freakin kt GS. A friend of mine saw me on flightaware and sent me an email when I was going 90kts that said "There you are flying over PA, going 90 kts! Don't Stall!" (I got this later, not in the airplane).
Heck, these speeds are more reminiscent of a C182, not a C172! Heck 90Kt GS with a 41Kt headwind ain't too shabby in a C172! What altitude were you using?

gprellwitz said:
Heck, these speeds are more reminiscent of a C182, not a C172! Heck 90Kt GS with a 41Kt headwind ain't too shabby in a C172! What altitude were you using?
5k and 7k. The good tailwinds were at 5k. The nasty headwinds were at both. Unavoidable.

Back