Greek Crash - Wrong Freq...

ugh....I think I would have rather not read that. What a bummer. I can't even imagine declaring "MAYDAY" with no response

I would hope that anybody on any frequency would jump in and help. If it was me and I couldn't remember 121.0 (or is it 121.5? See what I mean?) under stress, I hope somebody on the frequency would tell me. Besides don't US airliners routinely keep a radio tuned to guard?

I might try to change freqs or not assuming I could find the frequency selector. I'd think If I knew I had the luxury of having enough fuel I'd have time to calm down and look around the cockpit and get my bearings.

The pre-printed guide to passengers I have tells the passenger to just press the button and talk. That's the correct advice.

mgkdrgn said:
This whole episode has a really "bad odor" to it. Will be interesting to see how it finally plays out.

My take? After some thought about the available information and clues, I think that the plane NEVER was pressurized on this flight, whether due to a system failure or whatever. I don't think it DE-pressurized, I think it never WAS pressurized...

That would explain (a) them stopping at 12000 feet to troubleshoot an air conditioning problem, (b) the windows not being frosted on the inside, (c) the pilots not having on oxygen masks, (d) why the cabin was reported to be SOOOO cold on the previous leg.

They probably just got more and more hypoxic during the ascent and gradually got "giddy" and lost consciousness before they realized what was wrong.

Troy Whistman said:
My take? After some thought about the available information and clues, I think that the plane NEVER was pressurized on this flight, whether due to a system failure or whatever. I don't think it DE-pressurized, I think it never WAS pressurized...

That would explain (a) them stopping at 12000 feet to troubleshoot an air conditioning problem, (b) the windows not being frosted on the inside, (c) the pilots not having on oxygen masks, (d) why the cabin was reported to be SOOOO cold on the previous leg.

They probably just got more and more hypoxic during the ascent and gradually got "giddy" and lost consciousness before they realized what was wrong.

I suspect you are right, but nobody's saying much for sure right now. You'd think the airliners (and maybe other jets would have some kind of low cabin pressure alarm that goes off above 13k MSL cabin pressure. No jet airliner I know of runs the cabin that high, yet it would give a warning long before the crew became incapacitated.

mikea said:
I would hope that anybody on any frequency would jump in and help. If it was me and I couldn't remember 121.0 (or is it 121.5? See what I mean?) under stress, I hope somebody on the frequency would tell me. Besides don't US airliners routinely keep a radio tuned to guard?

Depending on how long the substitute pilot took to get to the cockpit (don't forget that security door), the plane could have flown well beyond radio range of any other airplane using the same frequency. Also it might not be very obvious how to change frequencies on the comm radio or even select which one was transmitting. I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, but someone who'd been up in a VFR only Cherokee a few times a while ago? Perhaps he was also hypoxic.

New info in Greek 737 crash...

Troy Whistman said:

Looks like my hypothesis has some basis in fact...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/06/news/crash.php#

On another note, how in the world does a flight crew not discover that they don't speak the same language until they are at altitude?!?

Re: New info in Greek 737 crash...

I seem to recall an air carrier crash from several years ago. It involved CFIT, and I believe it was somewhere in Asia.

In anycase, the recovered the voice recorder, and it ended something like the quote below. Only the LAST TWO words were in english ....

"What does it mean, 'pull up' "?

Troy Whistman said:

On another note, how in the world does a flight crew not discover that they don't speak the same language until they are at altitude?!?

Troy Whistman said:

Wow, if the article is factual, it sounds like the pax would have been better off with Laurel and Hardy at the controls. I can't believe such an incompetent pair could be put in charge of flying a C-152 let alone a 737.

lancefisher said:
Wow, if the article is factual, it sounds like the pax would have been better off with Laurel and Hardy at the controls. I can't believe such an incompetent pair could be put in charge of flying a C-152 let alone a 737.

2 words: Korean Air

Back