Greatest Pilot ever?

Great story. I grew up not far from there in Raleigh and never knew anything about that.

Dave, thanks for posting that. I was glued... wondering, "How much more is there to tell?"

So one last enigma remains in the life of a flying spy.

Rhyne was conscious when rescuers cut him out of the plane, but died little more than an hour later at Johnston Memorial Hospital. A seven-paragraph story about the accident in The News & Observer the next day quoted Patrick Harris, the Smithfield assistant fire chief.

"The pilot was very experienced," Harris said.
He had no idea.

Clearly, much more.

This is a story about a true Aviator, indeed.

That was a great read. Thanks Dave.

Back in 1968, I played a very small role in Special Ops; ran one mission into Laos (and was wounded). So, I got to know a little about ops in Laos. What I did is all unclassified now. Over the years, through reading and chatting with other Special Operations folks, I learned how large our role there was. Evidently, this fella was involved in much more and subsequent actions in other places.

There's a fella working on a book about our actions in Laos that should be out soon. He seems like he'll do a good job. I'll post it when it's ready. Some of these things just take a long time to come out because of the security.

A friend of mine here in Dallas recently returned from one of the large operations being run in a South American country. We're spending a lot of money down there.

Seems we always have a lot going on, but can't discuss it until a long time later. Folks like this aren't out for recognition. Like the discussion on board with Dave; some people do symbolic things; others make real contributions.

Who I most respect is the folks out there doing it today that aren't known.

Best,

Dave

I am based at Johnston County and had met him a few times, but had no idea of the level of experience he had.

Also know the surgeon who's plane he crashed on it's test flight.

On of my most vivid memories of Aero Contractors was one dark and cloudy night the airport was Notamed closed for runway maintenance. All runway and taxiway lights were turned off. I was there talking to someone from the avionics shop when we heard a plane land on the taxiway. We got in the golf cart and went to far end of the airport where Aero Contractors facility was only to see the turbine powered DC-3 they owned taxi in. We started talking to them and wondered just how they were able to land. Jim Rhyne just laughed and said this was a piece of cake compared to where they normally have to land at night.

I've also seen that DC-3 take off and land in less distance than my 172 could. It was an impressive show of piloting skill.

Thanks for the education.

Ever see the Mel Gibson movie, "Air America"? Kind of a goofy thing, but some interesting flying. My brother was living in Thailand at the time, where it was filmed, and has a bit part with I think 2 words of dialog. Only reason I have seen it more than once.

Amazing story of heroism, about Mr. Rhyne. Seems like he was due a few more medals and perhaps a movie about his life story some day when it is all available. Sad it ended that way. Wonder if he wrote down any stories. I bet he had a lot of them.

oh shoot i thought Dave was going to say something like "You're looking at him" :)

I find Air America to be a very entertaining movie. I know Deakin hates it because he was part of air america and hollywood (of course) misrepresented the hell out of it.

oh shoot i thought Dave was going to say something like "You're looking at him" :)

I find Air America to be a very entertaining movie. I know Deakin hates it because he was part of air america and hollywood (of course) misrepresented the hell out of it.

Boy Tony! You'd never, ever see me pointing to a mirror thinking I'm one of the best <g>, if that's what you meant. Heck, I'm only a part time pilot--I try to be the best I can be, but am truly humbled by some of the folks that are really talented. Maybe when I was younger and didn't know better I could have said somethin like that. There are gifted pilots with natural skill; I'm cursed with having to really work hard to meet standards!

I'd never even compare myself with some of the guys that flew missions in RVN every day; I only did it for a short period of time. One friend flew snakes in RVN doing things up north we never encountered down in III Corp. where I flew. Then, after the war, he went to Navy flight school and flew F-4s; now, he's about to turn 60 as a Captain at SW Airlines--28,000 hours I believe.

Although I may debate with Bruce and Ron on here about small stuff, they've each flown more in the past than I probably ever will. Because I may debate about filing to an IAF, doesn't mean I'm even in their league on many, many things. I try to pick a few points where I think I understand things from a practical side.

Flying is also so broad. My little bit of combat time in RVN is much different that guys flying deep in enemy territory with missiles being shot at them, AAA and Mig encounters.

There are great stick and rudder guys that make my skills look basic; you are getting glider time which will give you an appreciation and insight I don't have at all; this guy went places that would make most people shutter--he did it for years and he was one of the best at it.

I try to be a very competent, safe, part timer that can share some insight because I'm lucky enough to have years of perspective. I really like to think through and fully understand things. Then discuss 'em <g>

Put me down as an amerature, minor, leaguer please; never really played in the big show.

Best,

Dave

A facinating book that deals with some of this is a book called "The Ravens". It is a book about the forward air controllers that worked in Laos. Good read and highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravens-Flew-A...0783126?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179096703&sr=8-2

Yes, some of the special ops guys I know knew a few of these folks and some of them are still around. Interesting group of fellas.

Best,

Dave

Opps! Now I see where I really buggered this up. No wonder Tony responded in the manner he did! I left out a letter: was supposed to be "best pilot you NEVER heard of." I just buggered it up and stopped at ever.

Guess I'll ground myself for a couple days. I got a little head cold today and didn't realize how much faster my fingers were working than my noodle.

Oh the shame of it! (head looking down at ground and moving foot around in a circle).

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Tom! I came down with some kind of head cold yesterday; it's really taking it's toll. Can't get by with much on this board <g>

Best,

Dave

Thanks for sharing that, Dave.

Thanks Tom! I came down with some kind of head cold yesterday; it's really taking it's toll. Can't get by with much on this board <g> Best, Dave
Heheh, no ya can't - but I wouldn't have said anything were it not for the irony of you leaving a letter out when describing the shame you felt for leaving a letter out! :D

"Rhyne could fly anything. Helicopters, prop planes, jets, one engine, two or four, it didn't matter. He had so many ratings for different aircraft that when he held his license above his head -- he was more than 6 feet tall -- the accordion folder touched the ground, Secord said."

For fans of "The Fifth Element", remember the scene where the general pulls out Korben's list of quals? This and a few other things make me believe that the authors knew of Rhyne.

DOI:
11/2/1999Certificate:AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOTRating(s):
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LANDCOMMERCIAL PRIVILEGES
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER GLIDER

Type Ratings
A/B-377 A/BE-300 A/BE-1900 A/CA-212 A/DC-3 A/DC-3TP A/DH-4 A/G-1159 A/G-IV A/G-V I can't find anything missing!

Fascinating read! Thanks for posting.

Heheh, no ya can't - but I wouldn't have said anything were it not for the irony of you leaving a letter out when describing the shame you felt for leaving a letter out! :D

Oh dear, oh my; the humanity of it all <g>

Best,

Dave

For some reason, the second page won't load for me. I'd really like to finish the story. Sounds like a neat guy.

Thanks to Kenny for sending me the missing pages! Thanks to Dave for posting. Great read!

I would highly recommend the book: "The Ravens." It goes into great detail about the super undercover stuff in Laos and the volunteers who flew there. Great read!

Woops! After reading the whole thread I see that the book has already been mentioned. My SIL used to work for the NTSB and her boss, who gave me some time in her Bell 47, ended up marrying one of the Ravens. My SIL gave me the book for my birthday.

Last edited:
Back