Great training flight today!

catmandu

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Catmandu
After a pretty good workout knocking six months of rust off by doing some 15 knot crosswind landings at an uncontrolled field, we did some communication refresher by going around the pattern at a towered field, and then started heading back home.

"My throttle!"

Things got quiet real fast. But the talking started pretty quick: "Pitch for best glide, let's head for that field over there, restart checklist . . . complete. Hey, that field looks sort of like a runway." Keep best glide speed going, manage energy, whoops, forgot to override gear deployment in the Arrow, but things still look good. Deploy the flaps in stages, start slowing on final, looks good to touch down in the first third of the available field, should start our go around any second now.

Any second now.

Pretty soon.

Are we really going to land?

Holy dead stick soft field, Batman!

"I've never been off pavement before, this is awesome!"

(I was sitting right seat, one of those really good CFI moments :))

Sounds like a great lesson

Sounds like you did great! Help me understand though, what did you mean with the "forgot to override gear deployment"? Also, you were student but in the right hand seat?

Sounds like you did great! Help me understand though, what did you mean with the "forgot to override gear deployment"? Also, you were student but in the right hand seat?

I think he's just referring to the automatic gear extension feature in the Arrow. I assume he didn't want the gear down yet to extend his glide and his gear system kicked in when he pulled back the rpm. It is a feature to supposedly to keep you from landing with the gear up.

As Brian said, the Arrow II we were flying in has an automatic extension provision, based (roughly) on airspeed. There is an override lever between the seats that allows you to override this function, which is a consideration when an engine fails and you are trying to extend a glide.

I, the author of the post, was in the right seat as the CFI, I wrote the narrative ambiguously, sorry to confuse you.

As Brian said, the Arrow II we were flying in has an automatic extension provision, based (roughly) on airspeed. There is an override lever between the seats that allows you to override this function, which is a consideration when an engine fails and you are trying to extend a glide.

I, the author of the post, was in the right seat as the CFI, I wrote the narrative ambiguously, sorry to confuse you.

I had a vague recollection of that feature in some planes. I kinda caught it with the "good CGI moments" but was curious if I missed something else.
Your student did real good then!

Back