Great lesson, no fun!

GeneC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GeneC
Yesterday I did my first IFR training due for my PPL. At 300 ft AGL foggles on. Turn heading xxx continue climb to 2500. Turn heading xxx. Turn heading xxx. Climb and maintain xxxx while turning to xxx. Slow flight......power on stalls, power off stalls....45 degree turns left, 45 degree turns right....unusual attitudes. Whoo...I'm tired just thinking about it again. Track radials, track VOR, inbound, outbound...OK, we're going to shoot the ILS runway 8, vectors to PRAIS (?), intercept ILS, continue........track ILS to 300 ft AGL, foggles off, now land. I must say, what a lesson. Learning 100%, fun! not so much. Great lesson + great instruction + save my butt some day= priceless.
So IFR guys......respect.

Welcome to the forum ,glad you enjoyed your first flight under the hood.

Only hood time I've had so far was in the simulator. That was stressful enough. I am looking forward to real hood time, though.

wow, sounds like you probably slept well last night.

If there is any consolation, once you get used to that stuff, it's not that big of a deal. Or at least that's the goal anyway.

wow i didn't do any ils approaches during my ppl sounds like a great great lesson!

If there is any consolation, once you get used to that stuff, it's not that big of a deal. Or at least that's the goal anyway.
that, and the fact that the training flight bears no resemblance to what a normal IFR flight looks like.

90% of my IFR flights are departing into VMC or some IMC and breaking out on top, flying enroute for 3 hours, then descending (either in VMC, or through a few layers), then a visual approach at the end.

I often wish IFR training actually started out like that to give pilots a sense for what most flights will be like.

Yes, I've done flights that were almost entirely IMC from end to end, but they're rare.

So, the good news is it gets easier because a) you'll find it easy to fly by reference to instruments alone at some point and b) you typically won't be in super long stretches of IMC in any case.

I think my worst case flight so far was 3hr 15mins enroute and 2hrs 40mins of that was non-stop IMC.

Last edited:
Really enjoying my training at this point. Solo cross countries and lessons that really teach. After you get past the procedures and talking on the radios, pull this push that and things get to be second nature, I think is when you finally start to relax and fly the plane. Listen to the sounds and things start to click. As I pointed out, the lesson was all learning, didn't get to look outside, but the value was priceless.

Did my first full foggle flight a few weeks ago and I know exactly what you mean. Super, super busy but incredibly informative. I'm excited for round two.

Did you get that weird feeling flipping off the foggles before landing that you had hardly been flying? It was so weird to take them off and actually be able to see outside again.

Only hood time I've had so far was in the simulator. That was stressful enough. I am looking forward to real hood time, though.

Who wears a hood in the sim??? Why would you do that? Simulating simulating IMC...weird.

wow i didn't do any ils approaches during my ppl sounds like a great great lesson!

My CFI did ... wanted to make sure that I had at least SEEN an ILS approach in case I really messed things up. His point was that ATC can help, but it isn't much good if you can't at least tune and ID the localizer.

Back