Great Lakes

Right, but nobody has jumped in and attempted to compete with them on those routes either. Phoenix is well served by a billion other carriers. Moab and Watertown, not profitable without the subsidy, I suspect.

I can tell you they lost Laramie and pax counts went up. When Skywest brought the 200 to Laramie Pax counts went up again. Its happening. Boutique, which has a strong presence in DEN should start taking away EAS just like they did down here in AZ.

+1 these guys are poised for meaningful growth, they actually pay FAR better than GL.

Update for everyone:

On my second day of Indoc training and everything is going great so far. Training is pretty intense, but the instructors make it fun and enjoyable. GLA is trying to get a waiver to allow 19 seats on their part 135 operation, so hopefully something comes for that. As far as planes sitting on the ramp.. A lot of captains are moving up to the majors, so they don't have enough pilots to fill the lines. It will get better once they hire more pilots. There's no other airline that would consider hiring me with my low time, so I'm extremely grateful for this opportunity. As far as other regional airlines are concerned, why would I go to an airline, sit reserve for a long time, take years to upgrade, when I can hold a line within 2 months and upgrade to PIC within a shorter period of time. PIC multi turbine time is very critical, and the hands on experience you get from flying a turbine multi aircraft with no GPS or autopilot looks amazing on a resume. Which is why a lot of pilots in the majors got their start at GLA. Just my two cents, and I'm happy with my choice!

It will get better once they hire more pilots.

Where are said pilots going to come from?

I see a tight labor market at the low end of the airline pilot spectrum and I don't see how GL's offers are competitive.

The financial statements do not look pretty...

I'm glad it's working out for you. How much total time do you have ? I was supposed to interview with GLA about 7 months ago. I'm glad I didn't because I got a pretty good deal to fly a little nicer equipment and I can make what I would have made at lakes in a year in just under 3 weeks.

I thought this was going to be a thread about biplanes.....:mad:

Where are said pilots going to come from?

I see a tight labor market at the low end of the airline pilot spectrum and I don't see how GL's offers are competitive.

The financial statements do not look pretty...

They have new classes every month. More pilots = more flights, more destinations. They increased the base pay for F/O's last month, so its not nearly as bad as it was before. Line holders are flying an average of 100 hours per month, with decent time away from base, so the per diem adds up every month as well. The current problem they have/had is a lot of captains moving on and the 9 seat 135 operation, but like I stated, they're trying to get the waiver. It's really not a bad company if you like flying a lot.

I'm glad it's working out for you. How much total time do you have ? I was supposed to interview with GLA about 7 months ago. I'm glad I didn't because I got a pretty good deal to fly a little nicer equipment and I can make what I would have made at lakes in a year in just under 3 weeks.

I was hired with 230 hours total time.

They have new classes every month. More pilots = more flights, more destinations. They increased the base pay for F/O's last month, so its not nearly as bad as it was before. Line holders are flying an average of 100 hours per month, with decent time away from base, so the per diem adds up every month as well. The current problem they have/had is a lot of captains moving on and the 9 seat 135 operation, but like I stated, they're trying to get the waiver. It's really not a bad company if you like flying a lot.

The pay is still insanely low. I made more flying boxes single pilot in a 1900 that I could have at any level of a captain at GLA on the 1900.

All regional pay is low. Unfortunately, its one of the best routes to a major, otherwise, I wouldn't have just started the rat race.

GLA called me to schedule an interview about four years ago. After they told me the first year pay was about $13,000.00 and they reauired a $7,000.00 training bond, i couldnt contain my laughter. I hear the pay is only marginally better now.

1st year ATP qualified F/O's are making ~30,000 at GLA now.

Back