Great Lakes Pilots January Fly-in

LeonardMack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LeonardMack
The Great Lakes Pilots January Fly-in will be held at TZR (Bolton Field, Columbus, Ohio) January 20th at 1pm. On field is JP's Ribs for lunch and we are also trying to set up Tower tours and some other things at the airport.

All the details are on our website at www.greatlakespilots.org

For those of you who missed the fly-in today, you missed a great and very informative time.

The food at JP’s was good as usual, and then we headed over to Columbus States facility on the field. I was extremely impressed with their program there. They took a lot of time with us today and showed us exactly how they trained A&P’s and then gave a tour of their classrooms and labs. It was really neat to see all the equipment they work on, and to see all sorts of planes and parts torn apart as they rebuilt them. It was a great learning experience and they even answered questions about some of our own planes! I’ve gained a new respect for the A&P’s. We even got a chance to play around in a Fed-Ex 727 that was donated to the school. When was the last time you got to sit in a 727’s cockpit and actually press buttons and move levers?! It was like a bunch of kids in a candy store! A big thanks to the staff there who gave us a great overview of their program and what an A&P has to actually do to get certified. (It isn’t easy – 1940 hours of class and lab time!!)

After the Columbus States tour we got a chance to head up into the TZR tower. Although Bolton is not the most impressive tower, it was neat to see. They have no radar feed there, so it was interesting to see how the operation worked.

Overall, it was a great day (and I didn’t even fly since I live right up the road!). Hopefully everyone made it home safe.

Looks like next month we will be heading to Indiana. Get to the website (www.greatlakespilots.org) and vote.

I’ll be posting pictures from today on the website soon.

Thanks for the update! I really should have joined you. Leslie went on down to Lexington today. I had mentioned the Columbus trip to her, but she wanted something a bit further.

I couldn't be there because I had to go out of town... to Columbus. Unfortunately I couldn't get away to go join you guys. The weather seemed great for flying, too.

Back