Great Lakes/Midwest May Lunch.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
May 18th.

The week before is Mother's Day Weekend, the week after is Memorial Day Weekend.

We've done Indiana twice, and Ohio twice.

How does CJ's at BMI sound?

Sounds like I'd be hitching a ride with someone with a faster plane ;)

If it's lunch, we should be able to do it. Our niece has a dance recital that evening at 5PM. I'm looking forward to it, since I've never been to that restaurant!

BMI is almost 300 miles for me. I'm with Chris, I need a faster plane!

(more efficient would help too... or avgas back down to $3!)

In, and if you like craft beer, bring some growlers. Destihl is a couple miles away and does a very nice job. I wonder if they will still have a controller in the tower. Last time I was in there, he was talking faster than Chicago Approach while working me and one other Cessna 5 miles ahead of me.:dunno:

267 for me, that's about 2.5 hours one way in the Free Bird. We'll see, but I might have to sit this one out. 5 hours round trip is a long way to go for lunch.

That said it sounds like a pretty good place, and it shouldn't be in Ohio all the time either.

I would say I am 50/50 at this point on making the trip. If I do go I might have a seat for you Chris, but you would have to get to MGY and back. Good news is that now you know the way.

I would say I am 50/50 at this point on making the trip. If I do go I might have a seat for you Chris, but you would have to get to MGY and back. Good news is that now you know the way.

Thanks! It is.... southwest somewhere....

I was talking to my A&P today. It looks like that's the weekend my plane will go down for annual. So I'm most likely going to have to sit this one out anyway.

He has a day job on weekdays. If I do that, it'll be down for an extra week for sure, and he'll probably be trying to work on my plane at 3am some nights. Not sure that I trust his brain at that hour, even (or especially) saturated in caffeine.

He has a day job on weekdays. If I do that, it'll be down for an extra week for sure, and he'll probably be trying to work on my plane at 3am some nights. Not sure that I trust his brain at that hour, even (or especially) saturated in caffeine.
:( :(

I was talking to my A&P today. It looks like that's the weekend my plane will go down for annual. So I'm most likely going to have to sit this one out anyway.

Get ahold of me if he has any landing gear questions...

I may be able to go (VFR), what times were people thinking?

1700Z work for everyone?
(1200 CDT)

Will be in Charleston SC. Maybe next time. But not 1-2 June since I will be in Oshkosh at Sonex.

Cheers

Actually, the Freebird starts its annual Friday the 17th, so I doubt I'll be able to come no matter where it is. Have fun guys.

I just talked to my A&P. He doesn't plan on starting my annual until Saturday night. So I'm thinking again about trying to make this one. It's a long way, but count me as a tentative yes.

In, and if you like craft beer, bring some growlers. Destihl is a couple miles away and does a very nice job. I wonder if they will still have a controller in the tower. Last time I was in there, he was talking faster than Chicago Approach while working me and one other Cessna 5 miles ahead of me.:dunno:
Do they sell them, or do you have to bring 'em?

I am seeing storms here in Ohio for the day but it is a little early to worry about that yet. Time will tell.

Sounds good! (I don't have any growlers or other suitable containers.)

As it turns out I may be bringing a friend. I'm not sure if we'll have time for the beer trip, though I'd like to do it if we can.

Whuh oh. KBMI TAF has VCTS from 10 AM to 9 PM. Ick. Fingers crossed for the forecast to improve.

171120Z 1712/1812 16003KT P6SM SCT070 BKN120
TEMPO 1712/1714 3SM BR
FM171500 13012KT P6SM VCTS BKN050CB
FM180200 10008KT P6SM SCT050 BKN120
FM180400 10004KT 3SM BR BKN012
FM180800 VRB03KT 1SM BR BKN006

Whuh oh. KBMI TAF has VCTS from 10 AM to 9 PM. Ick. Fingers crossed for the forecast to improve.

171120Z 1712/1812 16003KT P6SM SCT070 BKN120
TEMPO 1712/1714 3SM BR
FM171500 13012KT P6SM VCTS BKN050CB
FM180200 10008KT P6SM SCT050 BKN120
FM180400 10004KT 3SM BR BKN012
FM180800 VRB03KT 1SM BR BKN006

That's tonight. I don't think any of us will be there at 0800z tomorrow morning. ;)

That's tonight. I don't think any of us will be there at 0800z tomorrow morning. ;)
And the forecast discussion for tomorrow actually sounds favorable for the BMI area. The upper low bringing this convection is supposed to move farther east by tomorrow afternoon. Those of us coming from the north might have to penetrate a front coming through northern IN, but the nasty stuff should be well off to the south and southeast.

Might be a no go for our southern Ohio friends , though. :(

brain fart. Lesson learned - don't check tomorrow's weather 30 minutes out of bed.

And the forecast discussion for tomorrow actually sounds favorable for the BMI area. The upper low bringing this convection is supposed to move farther east by tomorrow afternoon. Those of us coming from the north might have to penetrate a front coming through northern IN, but the nasty stuff should be well off to the south and southeast.

Might be a no go for our southern Ohio friends , though. :(

I'm going to be low and fast. 4000' burning about 20gph to keep breaking in the cylinders. OXI has fuel at $5.23

How many do we have for tomorrow?

Last edited:
Yep, I'm planning on stopping at OXI on the way back. I hope they have a level ramp as I'm trying to calibrate one of those Fuel Hawk thingies.

Watching the weather. TAF at KBMI valid until 1800:
FM180800 VRB03KT 2SM BR BKN006
FM181400 14008KT 6SM HZ SCT012 BKN025

Who all is in if conditions are IFR? Sounds like Ed's planning to file (based on 4000'). I could too. Liz would probably file too.

Tomorrow just seems ripe for embedded thunderstorms.

Back