Great Lakes/Midwest March Lunch

And there wasn't some sort of magic oil additive that you could have added to prevent this? Cough cough.

Not at this point. We found a broken oil control ring when we pulled #2. Luckily, none of it came loose and got into the system.

I am thinking the only way I am gonna see Eds bird is to fly up and see it. I realize i just opened myself up to something there. Are you going to keep her Ed, or is she still for sale?

I am thinking the only way I am gonna see Eds bird is to fly up and see it. I realize i just opened myself up to something there. Are you going to keep her Ed, or is she still for sale?

Everything is for sale for the right price. Even my hot body.

Hot is good in Michigan this time of year. And thats all I have to say about that.

I just got off the phone with the diner. They do not take reservations, however I told them that there would be 10-15 people coming around 1pm Saturday, and they were willing to take that info and make sure things were ready for us. Let them know you're with the PoA group.

I am going to miss being there. Looks like there are some new folks that will be there as well. We were planning to head out to FL first thing Saturday but now have a viewing to go to so we won't be able to leave till after 1400 lcl. I did forward the information and the thread link to some of those in our Aero Club just in case they wanted to attend. We will see how that works out.

Everyone have a safe flight and a good time this weekend.

And of course, now that you guys have moved it way to the east... I still have the plane.

Thanks for calling, Liz. Looks like a small place, so the heads-up is probably a good idea. Especially if all of Tim's friends show like they did last time! ;)

I would love to go, but that is our St Patrick's Day Parade (Dublin OH). Our local veterans groups lead the parade and I am providing transport for one of the disabled vets that day. Last I heard, the B-25 went to North or South Dakota last week. Maybe it will be back for you to see.

On a more serious note i have heard aircraft parking can be an issue but it is hard to see that from a google earth overhead view. I can't say for sure because I have never been there.

Hmm, I would have sworn that my annual expired at the end of Feb, but I just pulled up the date to confirm for my IA renewal paperwork and found that I did it last March.

Guess I don't need to pound out an annual in a hurry, should have looked it up sooner, I'd have gone flying a couple of times these past couple of weeks!

On a more serious note i have heard aircraft parking can be an issue but it is hard to see that from a google earth overhead view. I can't say for sure because I have never been there.

There are supposed to be 4 tiedowns on the museum apron somewhere across runway 18/36 from the FBO.

There are supposed to be 4 tiedowns on the museum apron somewhere across runway 18/36 from the FBO.

There are far far more than 4, and you can always park on the aprons in front of the hangars. Parking is not a problem unless there is a show, and I think we are too early for that.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

There are far far more than 4, and you can always park on the aprons in front of the hangars. Parking is not a problem unless there is a show, and I think we are too early for that.
Should have said more than four near the fbo. The museum is another story :)

There'll be an updated satellite picture just before we launch, so we can judge for ourselves, right? LOL

Well it's Thursday and not too early to say it... the wx for Saturday morning is looking unflyable in anything but a FIKI bird, and maybe not even then. We'll be on the backside of a low bringing snow showers and maybe even a little accumulation across the area Friday night into Saturday morning.

Any thoughts to a "rain day"? Or even to rescheduling now? Sunday does look better.

Well it's Thursday and not too early to say it... the wx for Saturday morning is looking unflyable in anything but a FIKI bird, and maybe not even then. We'll be on the backside of a low bringing snow showers and maybe even a little accumulation across the area Friday night into Saturday morning.

Any thoughts to a "rain day"? Or even to rescheduling now? Sunday does look better.
I am out on Sunday. I have a trip to Fort Wayne already scheduled. But I do agree that Saturday is starting to look iffy.

I'm out for Sunday as well. My husband and I plan to drive over so we'll be there at least! Hope others are able to make it out...if not husband and I will enjoy the Tin Goose :)

So if the wx keeps us all on the ground, do we try again next weekend, or wait til April?

I guess we could all drive to KPCW on Saturday, but for some of us it's kind of a long drive.

I understand it's a long drive for some. but wanted those who could fly Saturday know I'd be there. Unless we get crazy ice storm and the roads are bad. I've been looking forward to going to the restaurant/museum all week :)

At this point, I'm not inclined to drive. Will save PCW for a flying day. (And I'm not ruling out Saturday until it IS Saturday. ;) )

I, however, am going to bow out of this one. I realized that I would need to schedule a flight review before I flew out, and it doesn't look like tonight or tomorrow morning are going to have good enough weather to get that done.

Oh, I'm still going to plug in the Reiff tonight, just in case tomorrow morning is flyable. That's assuming I can make it out to the airport this evening or can get someone to plug it in for me -- now they are talking about accumulating snow (2-3 inches) starting around 5pm.

If we do actually get that accumulating snow it *might* be an issue ... guys aren't likely to start plowing the runway at Ray until at least 10:00am, maybe. (Of course, I *could* get checked out in the plow truck ... but then I might be expected to work :eek: )

Freebird is plugged in and ready to go, but I think I'll bail if I can't get the wx. Having a hard time getting to one of these get-togethers.

I hope some show up. But don't risk your lives to meet me. I'm not that special :)

We considered driving, but 6 hours is just too far. If the weather supports flying, we will be there.

Troy will have the runway and taxiways plowed by morning if we get 2 inches or more. So getting out will not be a problem for me. But it will be cold, so the low clouds in the wake of the system will prevent IFR over Lake Erie. Also, with northeasterly winds off the lake, there will probably be lake effect snow bands all over NW Ohio.

Chances are that I will be driving not flying.

Low ceilings + marginal visability are not a good combination when you have to thread the antenna farms N.E. of Toledo.

Here's the Prog chart for tomorrow at 1800Z (issued at 1917Z). Not looking good for Port Clinton. I've also included the temps at 3000'. About -5*C.

Attachments

• TAF.PNG
    TAF.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 12
  • temps.PNG
    temps.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Bah. Might just unschedule that plane.

Sent from my brain using my fingers.

Here's the Prog chart for tomorrow at 1800Z (issued at 1917Z). Not looking good for Port Clinton. I've also included the temps at 3000'. About -5*C.
Like I said, definitely no IFR over Lake Erie tomorrow... :(

I'll do a final wx check in the morning. If it's as bad as predicted, I'll be bowing out. I was actually thinking of driving for a while, but it's a 3 hour drive each way from where I live. I can't spare that much time tomorrow.

Yeah, we're out. Not going to scud run or risk icing.

FAUS41 KKCI 160045 FA1W BOSC FA 160045 SYNOPSIS AND VFR CLDS/WX SYNOPSIS VALID UNTIL 161900 CLDS/WX VALID UNTIL 161300...OTLK VALID 161300-161900 ME NH VT MA RI CT NY LO NJ PA OH LE WV MD DC DE VA AND CSTL WTRS . SEE AIRMET SIERRA FOR IFR CONDS AND MTN OBSCN. TS IMPLY SEV OR GTR TURB SEV ICE LLWS AND IFR CONDS. NON MSL HGTS DENOTED BY AGL OR CIG. . SYNOPSIS...LOW PRESS OVR SERN ME WITH OCFNT OVR SRN ME-CNTRL MA-SW CT. CDFNT OVR NW NJ-SRN PA-SRN OH. HIGH PRESS OVR FL. BY 19Z LOW PRESS CNTRD OVR ERN KY-NWRN VA. CDFNT FM SE VA-ATLANTIC CSTL WTRS. OCFNT OVR NRN WV-ERN KY. HIGH PRESS WILL RMN OVR CNTRL FL.

OH LE N 1/2 OH/LE...OVC020 TOP FL250. VIS 3-5SM -RASN BR. 03Z OVC015. OTLK...IFR CIG RASN BR.

00 FAUS43 KKCI 160145 FA3W CHIC FA 160145 SYNOPSIS AND VFR CLDS/WX SYNOPSIS VALID UNTIL 162000 CLDS/WX VALID UNTIL 161400...OTLK VALID 161400-162000 ND SD NE KS MN IA MO WI LM LS MI LH IL IN KY . SEE AIRMET SIERRA FOR IFR CONDS AND MTN OBSCN. TS IMPLY SEV OR GTR TURB SEV ICE LLWS AND IFR CONDS. NON MSL HGTS DENOTED BY AGL OR CIG. . SYNOPSIS...02Z CDFNT SE OH-NW MO-NW KS. TROF NW WI-SE IA. TROF NW KS-FAR W TX. 20Z CDFNT ERN KY-NERN AR-SE NM.
IL NRN...BKN020 LYRD FL250. VIS 3-5SM BR. ISOL -SHSN. BECMG 0406 VIS 3-5SM SCT -SHSN BR. OTLK...IFR CIG SHSN BR BECMG 1618 MVFR CIG. CNTRL...BKN060 LYRD FL250. ISOL -SHRA. BECMG 0407 BKN020. VIS 3-5SM SCT -SHRA BR/WDLY SCT -TSRA. CB TOP FL300. 13Z ISOL -SHRA. OTLK...MVFR CIG SHRA BECMG 1618 VFR.
IN N HLF...BKN030 LYRD FL250. VIS 3-5SM -RA BR. OTLK...IFR CIG BR BECMG 1618 MVFR CIG.
LM LWR MI LH S HLF...BKN020 LYRD FL250. VIS 3-5SM SCT -SHSN BR. OTLK...IFR CIG SHSN BR.

And nothing in the latest AF to make me change my mind!

Last edited:
Back