213.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN3493.JPG
    DSCN3493.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN3494.JPG
    DSCN3494.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 41
That's what I was hoping you'd say!
We'll probably replace our windows with these one of these days.

That's what I was hoping you'd say!
We'll probably replace our windows with these one of these days.

these are the 1/4 " green tinted 4" bubble windows, the wind shield and the rear windows will not go in until the fuselage is stripped and ready for paint.

Sweet the glass I have ordered from them (PA28 windshields and Skipper doors) has also just dropped in.

Thank God I never dropped one :)

That's a Thousand bucks worth of plastic you are looking at.

Brock,

I replaced the side glass on my 182 last year as my yearly, at annual, upgrade. Bought them from Great Lakes. They were perfect.

After some deliberation (and a thread over at CPS) I was talked out of the bubble glass though. I didn't want to chance any loss in airspeed.

Last edited:
Glass replacement is on my hit list. What do most buy, tinted or not and if so what color?

After some deliberation (and a thread over at CPS) I was talked out of the bubble glass though. I didn't want to chance any loss in airspeed.
If your aircraft was capable of sonic flight you might loose a couple knots by using 4" bubble windows, but a 182 ?

I'll have to dig that thread up as we where contemplating the 4" bubble windows for the 172. I'd like the right window with the smaller camera port for cooling though.

Hi Tom,

Couple of questions, what's the advantages of bubble door glass besides looking cool; and did you go for the thicker, one piece windscreen, which I've heard is harder to install, but reduces noise during flight?

I'd be interested in seeing detailed pictures of the windscreen installation, riveting, etc.

Thanks.

Leo

Hi Tom,

Couple of questions, what's the advantages of bubble door glass besides looking cool; and did you go for the thicker, one piece windscreen, which I've heard is harder to install, but reduces noise during flight?

I'd be interested in seeing detailed pictures of the windscreen installation, riveting, etc.

Thanks.

Leo

I only did it for cool factor, not because they have any real function.

Yes the windscreen is 1/4" and will go in as a 1 piece with out the strap. I'll get pictures when I put it in.

I've got to put the 170 on the back burner for a few days and get caught up on the work that supports it.

First (full disclosure here, I am John from GLAP) And I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words on the windows. Also not trying to make an ad here, just answering some questions in the thread when I was searching the web...

Second The Bubble (Domed) windows.
- Loss of airspeed. Honestly there has to be some, however when we did the tests on them in a 172D it was minimal at worst, the test pilot said he did not notice anything. Obviously the most would be from the 6" bubble, but my guess is you might, possibly lose 1 or 2 that would be with the 6" bubble

- The purpose of the bubble windows are 2 fold.
1) The original windows were installed as an option in the 1974+ Cessna 180 & 185 models with float planes, It is my understanding they are so you can look straight down when landing on water, or on the water.
2) The second purpose is to actually give a little more room inside, when we did the 172, that was the first thing we noticed with the 6", is it gave us a place to put our arm when flying in the front seats...

I hope that helps...

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help...

Last edited:
I replaced all of my windows this past annunal using Great Lakes Aero. The front windows they recommended on their website were too thick for the slots in my airframe. I had no problems swapping out the thicker front windows for the next thinner size and got a refund for the difference with no hassles.

I replaced all of my windows this past annunal using Great Lakes Aero. The front windows they recommended on their website were too thick for the slots in my airframe. I had no problems swapping out the thicker front windows for the next thinner size and got a refund for the difference with no hassles.

I would like new windshield and back window for the 177, but god don't really want to go down that road.... :redface:

They aren't cheap either

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help...

John ... thanks for sharing your expertise with us. PLEASE don't PM him; ask the question(s) here so that we can ALL benefit from the answers. Please?

Thanks,

Jim

Just let me know.. I will try to look back here on occasion and see what is going on, would like to take a peek about every day or every other day.

Try to Keep the questions in the maintenance bay, that will be my go-to link for now.

Also I have posted to a few other threads, but apparently I was not automatically "subscribed" so I did not get an email message stating replies...

John

If you are referring to the PA-28 in your avatar, usually the 3/16" windshields are not too much of a problem. But no two aircraft are exactly the same, I am sorry it did not work out. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our service.

I know the 1/4" windshields can be a real hassle to install where there was 1/8" windshields before. We do not recommend those at all except for those that really want them.

Have a great day

John

If you are referring to the PA-28 in your avatar, usually the 3/16" windshields are not too much of a problem. But no two aircraft are exactly the same, I am sorry it did not work out. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our service.
I know the 1/4" windshields can be a real hassle to install where there was 1/8" windshields before. We do not recommend those at all except for those that really want them.
Have a great day
John
Yes, the plane in my avatar is the one.
If I remember right I ordered the .187" windows for the front, which was designated as THICK, and all of the side windows I ordered .125". The website said the EXTRA THICK was not recommended so I stayed away from that, but tried going with the middle size. The THICK front windows didn't fit my slots well nor did it look like the trim was going to screw down for a nice finish around the windows. Anyway, I was grateful that your company was easy to work with to get the front windows swapped out for the .125" thickness. It is so nice having new plexiglass all around my plane.

4" bubble windows

Good choice!

I never flew bubble windows before my 185, they're great

IMO anyone with a cessna looking to do a upgrade, that's a easy one!

Yes, the plane in my avatar is the one.
If I remember right I ordered the .187" windows for the front, which was designated as THICK, and all of the side windows I ordered .125". The website said the EXTRA THICK was not recommended so I stayed away from that, but tried going with the middle size. The THICK front windows didn't fit my slots well nor did it look like the trim was going to screw down for a nice finish around the windows. Anyway, I was grateful that your company was easy to work with to get the front windows swapped out for the .125" thickness. It is so nice having new plexiglass all around my plane.

I actually think I remember this, it was only a couple of months ago, the exact time might escape me, but it was since fall of this year. I am happy you were pleased with the outcome.

John

Back