Great Job by the Coast Guard

Lookit that, two jobs I could never bring myself to do - all in one video!
That is one loong cable. And not a very thick one. :hairraise:

My old unit! (used to be in Cape May). A nice job by the crew, excellent coordination. The tender at the door (the flight mechanic) did a really good job of damping the swing of the swimmer/survivor.

And that cable is quite strong. It's breaking strain is much much higher then the helo's payload lift capacity. Power lines give me the willies, though. I'd rather do hoists off a ship or the water any day.

Also glad to see the effect of the newer more powerful engines in these helos. When I flew in them this mission would have been iffy - might have needed to drop the first survivor before picking up the second. Cold day probably helped there too.

Tim (former USCG rescue swimmer)

Last edited:
My uncle was stationed in Cape May in the late 80's, I think. When were you there?

No, he was on a ship, but I don't know which one. Tracy Gustafson is his name.

Hmm... Maybe the Matinicus or the Point Baatan. Navy had a minesweeper there too. The name sounds familiar, but the airdales and the blackshoes didn't mingle much. Cape May was a big base (for the Coast Guard) with the Training Center, the Group/Air Station, small boat station, A patrol boat, a Cutter, an ATON Buoy Tender (can't remember the name of the tender to save my life), plus a supply center too.

I just emailed him to find out for sure... I'll let you know when he responds.

That is incredible. I've seen videos of linemen working from the helicopter before, but I've never seen them get off the helicopter and onto the line...that was incredible! I love that bit at the end, "The only three things I've ever been afraid of..."

Tim - From my uncle:

I was stationed on the USCGC Alert in Cape May, NJ from July of 1986 to November of 1988. The base itself is a rather large base by Coast Guard standards. Even if we were there at the same time, odds are would not meet unless it was at the base bar.

Skip - no thank you, I would be scared sh*tless up on those wires and unable to move!

Tim - From my uncle:

Ah... I was at the training center going through bootcamp in July and August of 88 (no beer for me!), didn't get back to the AirStation until early 1989 when your uncle would have left. I only vaguely recall the Alert, don't know if it remained homeported in Cape May. I just remembered the ATON ship though, the USCGC Hornbeam.

Back