Great home sim!

yea im not sure what to think about that. sure is one hell of a landing. he must have lots of practice. likely could have got his private with all the stuff on that, but ive noticed a lot of the hardcore simmers aren't really that interested in real flying

but ive noticed a lot of the hardcore simmers aren't really that interested in real flying

I've noticed that as well, and I just don't get it. The flight sims don't hold a candle to the real thing IMHO.:dunno:

well we are biased, we enjoy the real thing. maybe Jason has some insight, he is big into flight simming.

well we are biased, we enjoy the real thing. maybe Jason has some insight, he is big into flight simming.

You've got that right. I just don't understand how someone could not like flying as much as I do, like for instance me wife.:D

A friend on the Bonanza Board told me this is being operated by a Turkish student. He went on to explain that few people in that country actully have access to aviation; this may be close as this young man ever gets.

Dave

lurker said:
I've noticed that as well, and I just don't get it. The flight sims don't hold a candle to the real thing IMHO.:dunno:

Well let's see. With the simm you don't have to hassle with the planning, or pre-flighting the airplane, or getting fuel, or dealing with the airport management, or dealing with maintenance, or waiting for the plane to get out of maintenance, or complying with the FARs, etc. You just start up and start flying. You can even crash without any reprecussions.

But I still prefer the real thing.

tonycondon said:
yea im not sure what to think about that. sure is one hell of a landing. he must have lots of practice. likely could have got his private with all the stuff on that, but ive noticed a lot of the hardcore simmers aren't really that interested in real flying

I love real flying, but nobody lets me take a 737 on a trip. With an investment of about $600.00 in add-on software and hardware I have a platform that lets me keep my instrument scan sharp, practice emergency procedures like engine failures, and teach myself how to use advanced systems like the autoflight system and FMS on Boeing airplanes. I think it will give me a leg up when I go for my 737 type rating in the future - I know it helps keep my instrument skills sharp because my instructors comment on it.

I think a lot of simmers don't really have an interest in the discipline and patience needed to learn to fly, but I know of quite a few pilots on my virtual airline http://vcair.com who are real life pilots. Some others are retired airline pilots, or folks who have limitations that would prevent them from ever flying the line for real.

TMetzinger said:
I think a lot of simmers don't really have an interest in the discipline and patience needed to learn to fly, but I know of quite a few pilots on my virtual airline http://vcair.com who are real life pilots. Some others are retired airline pilots, or folks who have limitations that would prevent them from ever flying the line for real.

Hey Timothy,

I know quite a few folks over at vcair. Do you fly on VATSIM often? You can usually find me on Boston or Bradley Approach on the network. If so, what callsign do you most often use? I've probably controlled you, but never knew.

Regards,
Jason

I'm either COA863 or SWA1039, and you may well have controlled me, either on the recent TGIF to boston or my usual flights for SimSouthwest from BWI to MHT.

I'll be flying this evening and tomorrow but won't be in your airspace - I'll be doing EWR-IND-MEM-CLT-CLE-EWR.

TMetzinger said:
I'm either COA863 or SWA1039, and you may well have controlled me, either on the recent TGIF to boston or my usual flights for SimSouthwest from BWI to MHT.

I'll be flying this evening and tomorrow but won't be in your airspace - I'll be doing EWR-IND-MEM-CLT-CLE-EWR.

Awesome, Tim! Be sure and give me an extra "Pilots of America" shoutout on frequency if you see "Jason Herman" in the ATIS. I think I remember a SWA1039 into MHT a few times.

I look forward to controlling you some time in the future,

"HN"

Back