Great Glider Weekend

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
We finally had some pretty good flying weather this weekend for once. One of our club members, and soaring weather gurus predicted strong conditions for Friday. Thankfully work wasn't too bad, and I managed to duck out early. I finally got rigged and up into the air around 3:30. Lift was strong, and I immeadiately got up to 5500' agl off a 3000' tow. As this was only my second flight in the old bird, i didn't stray too far from the airport. I did a bit of exploring, and found that the Ka-6 is way nimbler, and glides so much better than the old 2-33. I ended up just putzing around until a high cirrus layer moved in and killed the lift around 5ish. Needless to say I was ecsatic about my 1.5 hr second flight.

Saturday was a non flying day beacuse of the annual Hartford ballon rally, so I ended up fixing the tailgate on the trailer.

Sunday was another pretty good day, but is was a bit windy. The lift was ragged, but still flyable. On the first flight I fell out after about 30 minutes, and on the relight I got in another 45 before putting it away for the weekend.

3 flights and 2:45 total time, I just hope we get more weekends like this.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vontresc/Ka6

Attachments

• K6 solo.JPG
    K6 solo.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • K6 Lands.JPG
    K6 Lands.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
sweet pete! good to see that ka-6 in the air.

Lucky you... been weeks since I did any gliding. The 33 is ready to go again, though... doubt I'll make it tomorrow, but maybe Sunday.
That definitely is a fine-looking bird, there! :yes:

I think we just hit the last weekend of cross country season... that is until the winter winds blow and the mountain wave sets up.

Our fall XC season here in the upper midwest hasn't even started yet. Once the crops dry and start getting cut it can be real good still mid Oct.

I had a good time on Saturday. Put around 2 hours on the Ka-6 again flying around locally. My friend Dave keeps trying to get me to leave thae airport with him, but I just havebn't had the guts to cut the apron strings. I had a blast gaggling with our club 1-26 though. It was amazing to fly with something with similar parformance as my ship. So far i've gaggled with a few of our local glasss ships, and was able to turn way inside of them :)

Saturday was a bit of an odd day, with an early almost overcast sky. Most of us ended up falling out from our early tows, but the late afternoon turned out to be quite fun. Managed to find a bunch of strong thwermals up to cloud base more often than not, including a 7+knotter (now that was a fun ride). There was also considerable sink which made for fun flying and a 1400' agl save from just south of the airport.

One of these weeks when the crops are out I will have to go explore a bit....

One of these weeks when the crops are out I will have to go explore a bit....[/quote]

See that you do!
MM

Sunday was fine weather over here, but not much lift (very tight and fragmented thermals)... so I just did three pattern hops from 1500, which is what i need to work on anyway. I'm starting to feel pretty good about my pattern entry, pattern and landings. the tows were easy, but only because the air was pretty smooth.Herb didn't have much to do except hit me on the head when i forgot to call 200. :rolleyes:

But the best thing about Sunday was that it was one of those days when it's just great to hang out at the field all day... almost the whole gang was there, great weather, lots of transient traffic to observe...lots of people stopped by to check out what we were doing; got a couple of first-timers up, too. Our 14-yr-old member's buddy was there, and had never even been on an airline flight. He got his first airplane ride in the Citabria during a tow, then got a Breezy ride... then he got up in the 2-33 for a hop!!

I would have been envious, but I got my extra-curricular jollies with a ride-and some stick time- in the Breezy (or should I say "on" the Breezy?). I could never get tired of Breezy flying... :)

Sunday turned out better than Saturday.. 170nm plus for one Kestral heading east.. got shot down heading towards Williams AZ and had to double back with too much Virga in the area. Janus stayed aloft for over 3 hours exploring the lenth of the Spring Mountain Range.

And I understand the Dust Devil Dash was a huge success.

Back