Great flying weekend!

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
I had another Bird Dog flight coming to me in exchange for the nose art, so James and I went up Saturday, first heading over to Sky Manor to check out the fly-in (and have a hearty "brunchfast", in my case).

Great turn-out this time: I guess nobody was stymied by weather! The weather was superb. Bit of a crosswind at home and at the fly-in, but nobody had any trouble. I saw some great and unusual airplanes: A Cri-Cri, a turbine Maule, the new RV-12, a Meyers 200, and my first Luscombe T8F, a very spiffy one with an O-320 on the nose, wheel pants, and vortex generators. I've become obsessed with these rare birds since I bought a raffle ticket to win one, LOL. "Mine" is not so fancy, but it'll do...a very interesting airplane, the T8F.

There were plenty of Stearmans, there too, and a gaggle of various RVs. Two Breezys, a Rockwell Lark,and two flybys by a pair of L-39s and a T-28 in formation. Not bad for a little grass-roots fly-in! James started chatting with one of the Stearman pilots, and next thing you know, we're off to form up with the biplane, with me getting some decent air-to-air video out the open window of the Bird Dog.

Now a flight of two, we dropped in at Van Sant, where it was the usual busy Saturday, with glider ops mixed in. A gorgeous Travel Air had shown up, and more Stearmans. James went up in the Stearman for a bit while I wandered around, then it was my turn in the front hole, as we formed up again to go to the Stearman pilot's private family strip nearby. Got some good video of the Bird Dog in flight.

I didn't get much stick time in the L19 on the way home, but it was all good... just a great day of flying and hanging out.

Today brought more perfect wx... not ideal for soaring, but the glider club rallied at 47N, and on my first hop, I actually did very well considering. Made another quick flight, got my friend Faith to take her first glider ride with JP at the helm, and basically enjoyed being at the airport on a beautiful day. Great way to end the summer.

Last edited:
Back