Great flying vacation

Comanche flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Comanche flyer
We just got back from a 9'day flying vacation, we made it all the way to key west from Texas, plane runs great, new panel was amazing, got some IF time, but wife hates the soup so we stay clear, on our way back front storm moving from Texas got us grounded, and thanks to that we end up finding a gem, KBAX Bogalusa La, old airport with great history, airport manager set us up a nice room, and provide us a courtesy car :yes:we end up watching movies a d predefined piza.
Great trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 46
Hate single uploads

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 35
Have few more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 25
Easy o e at the time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 39
"..................

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 32
Family got first ride over the beach.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 49
You can upload more than one picture at a time you know. Nice pictures nonetheless.

Nope won't do it for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 33
And thanks
Phone camera wife shoots I flight
KBXA lounge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Glad you had a nice trip,flying Florida is usually fun.lLike the new panel.

what year comanche is that? What kind of TAS/fuel consumption were you getting. I think those kind of trips makes the comanche stretch its legs and really shine.

what year comanche is that? What kind of TAS/fuel consumption were you getting. I think those kind of trips makes the comanche stretch its legs and really shine.

Is a 1958 serial number 17 so is one of the oldest one if not the oldest one still flying, is a 180 hp, real numbers are 150 mph indicated at 11,2'gph very much balls to the wall, push all the way at 12,6 full rich by lycoming you can see 168/170 mph indicated, at relaxed 130 7500 ft I get 8,2 Gph all day and that's my sweet spot, today we got strong head winds no Mather what altitude we try so I push it 140 mph indicated at 9,8 Gph,
My engine was redone last year, my landing gear and the biggest Comanches neglected point was completely rebuilt last year at almost 11k, and still have one extra landing gear transmission on hand for the future, I won't sell this plane for any price, 4 cyl 0-360 bullet proof, cheap annuals once you get up to speed, docile and fast as hell for the power, I just re did the panel , gtn650, gn250 xl, gma 350, 330es, and 106 cdi, no auto pilot, and I really enjoy flying so seating on autopilot is not my thing, we do have autopilot on the malibu and we never use it, this old birds are Cherokee run prices at premium speed and room, I don't rub my wife in the cockpit, and I have great useful load, we load 100 lbs of junk In luggage, then back seat cooler, flying bag, 2 pillows for copilot sleeping time, hand bag and still come in the envelope, right now my useful load is 1130, after a good deep clean up when panel was done, I pretty much get same speed i use to see on our old pathfinder at 6 Gph less.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 12
If you buy one, get a landing transmission ASAP is only one guy doing them now, when he's gone you may be press to go to the morons from duke and they want 7k for new one, I got two for under 5 ;)
Ads are many but most are easy big ones are, 1000 or 5 yrs, easy to keep up if you really keep up, and easy to get run down if you let them run down, great plane, best bang for the buck, and now are going cheap, but you will have to put avionics and landing gear on most all all of them, so 20's for the plane, 10k for a good landing gear and 25 for panel, our bird is insured for 79k hull value.
I pay 2400x year, no grass strip tough he performs better in and out of grass.
Usually I keep annuals at 5k doing upgrades and preventive maintenance,
I could do 2k annual and walk away then get hit with a 15k annual tough :yes:.
Comanches were designed by Mooney and Lopresty was the biggest brain behind the Comanche, the 180 is the original design so flyers better, the 250 and up are noose heavy, and hitting front tire on landing is a common occurrence for not trained pilots on type, 6 inch wheels all around not just the mains, they love to pop out of runaway at 55mph and if you let them You be I trouble pretty quick, trim for landing and take off is crucial on all flying tale planes.
Any more info pm me I love this planes and got really involved with the Comanches. And again is not for sale ;)

I have the 17th 250 made!

No wonder you so nice
All Comanche owners are great fellas, just got together w couple in Fl, we did hot dog day cpl twins and singles show up. :yes:

I have a fresh print of the 61 owners book for the 250 if you need one.

Last edited:
What browser are you using? Or is this on a mobile device. Even my old school Crackberry can do more than one at a time.

iPad I select 4 pics but only one would show up after upload.

No wonder you so nice
All Comanche owners are great fellas, just got together w couple in Fl, we did hot dog day cpl twins and singles show up. :yes:

I have a fresh print of the 61 owners book for the 250 if you need one.

My 250 is also a 1958, so the 61 book isn't necessary.

Do you have to climb under the belly to sump the fuel, or did you get from the cockpit drain installed at some point during its history?

I get down there, not and issue for now , I'm 36, but may come a time I would love to get that, any info on that ? Is a stc from some one?
I try to get with Matt down in Naples but he was gone,I meet with Jim Hyat he flown the twin. I guess you know them From the ICS

I still crawl under the belly as well. Though since I always have mine hangared, I rarely sump.

I still crawl under the belly as well. Though since I always have mine hangared, I rarely sump.

Mine sleeps inside also, but I still sump when fueling up in remote airports.
I got water in the carb of the lance once, not fun.

Back