Great Flying Sunday/Aeroprakt A32

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Last Sunday reminded me of why we went through the ordeal of building a hangar home on an airstrip.

This past Sunday was a gorgeous day to fly in E TN. The owner of the airport invited me to go for a quick flight in his Maule. I kind of expected it to be coarse, noisy and truck-like, but it was anything but. Certainly heavier on the controls than most Light Sports, but well harmonized. The Lycoming O-360 was very smooth. Very nice plane overall.

Karen shot a video of the takeoff. Here's a screenshot:

44994690645_99263e4123.jpg

As we were landing, we noticed an orange Light Sport parked in front of our house. Turned out a friend, Dennis Long, had been in the area and dropped by with an Aeroprakt A32:

45835606071_0ff9683a19.jpg

Dennis is the US distributor for Aeroprakt. He took another friend, Alan, for a test flight and he came back thoroughly enamored.

I was quite impressed with the build quality. It's an aluminum-bodied Light Sport from Ukraine, with fabric control surfaces. ROTAX 912 (not -is), full-span flaperons and a chute. Reasonably light EW, enormous long-range tanks (30 gals?) and good cruise speed combined with a comparatively low price (about $130k I think, depending on options).

Like I said, impressive. I think it would be very high on my short list of Light Sports were I ever to consider something other than my Sky Arrow.

Wow. You admitted to knowing Dennis Long publicly?

Just kidding. I've known him for a long time, since I moved here in 2003. Good guy and a great ambassador and salesman for the Aeroprakt. I've never met anyone else who loves to fly as much as he does.

Back