Great Flights Come at Surprising Times

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Who would have thought today would have been so good? I woke up a little haggard from not having enough sleep, and schlepped myself out to the airport for some approaches with my CFII.

Hard to describe why it felt so good, but the air was absolutely smooth, the approaches (three GPSs and a LOC) went like prime-time, I knew exactly how to get what I need on the G1000, and it was all topped off by a gentle greaser of a landing--with someone actually there to witness it!

For those of you struggling through your IR studies, I'd say keep at it! Some days you'll be happy you did, because you can get there despite low weather; but other days you'll be happy you got the rating, just for the pleasure of doing a good job flying approaches. :)

Ben:

That's nice to read.

I was thinking, just today, about how art and flight seem analogous. This in mind, should one even question why you are a skilled pilot? Even more, that you are a pilot who truly appreciates the transcendant joy that flight brings?

Ben:

That's nice to read.

I was thinking, just today, about how art and flight seem analogous. This in mind, should one even question why you are a skilled pilot? Even more, that you are a pilot who truly appreciates the transcendant joy that flight brings?

There are some analogies, I agree. There is knowledge and technique which, if combined and practiced, produce skill. The are of flying, to me, is so much up to mother nature, and the whims of the instrument (aircraft), that it is more unpredictable than in music--but often incredibly beautiful and surprising.

I wish my talents and skills as a musician naturally translated into flying, but they do not. I am a slow learner, and need to practice flying and IFR skills a lot to stay current.

Ben,

You da man. Pretty cool!

I'm really excited about my instrument training too.

Last weekend I flew with a 900 hr commercial pilot in his 152 down to south carolina. I flew left seat on the return trip, did a great job under the hood and flew the ILS into my home airport. Topped it off with one of the greasiest landings I have ever made, I mean we are talking hardee's bacon cheeseburger greasy. This was my first time flying with this pilot, unfortunately I have now set the bar for myself wayy too high!

This weekend I am really looking forward to logging another 3-5 hours toward the rating.

I'm really excited about my instrument training too.

Last weekend I flew with a 900 hr commercial pilot in his 152 down to south carolina. I flew left seat on the return trip, did a great job under the hood and flew the ILS into my home airport. Topped it off with one of the greasiest landings I have ever made, I mean we are talking hardee's bacon cheeseburger greasy. This was my first time flying with this pilot, unfortunately I have now set the bar for myself wayy too high!

This weekend I am really looking forward to logging another 3-5 hours toward the rating.

Keep going--you'll never regret it!

Back