Great Find

andybean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
andybean
This past Memorial Day Weekend was a fantastic weekend for flying in California. Sunday afternoon I flew to a small airport in Northern California.
Lincoln. KLHM

Lincoln airport is fairly small as airports in CA go. Pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Can you imagine my surprise to find sitting on the tarmac, the airplane that I did my training in, took my test in, and learned to fly almost 18 years ago. The plane had been in a flight school in Southern California at KSNA John Wayne airport over 300 miles away.

I'm going to try and upload a picture of this airplane. It has a very distinctive paint scheme. It is an aerobat which also makes it fairly unique.

Attachments

• 19A  first plane [640x480].jpg
    19A first plane [640x480].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 19A shot 2 [640x480].jpg
    19A shot 2 [640x480].jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 66
It's also a non-towered airport with a full ILS. I've shot approaches there during IFR training.

This past Memorial Day Weekend was a fantastic weekend for flying in California. Sunday afternoon I flew to a small airport in Northern California.
Lincoln. KLHM

Lincoln airport is fairly small as airports in CA go. Pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Can you imagine my surprise to find sitting on the tarmac, the airplane that I did my training in, took my test in, and learned to fly almost 18 years ago. The plane had been in a flight school in Southern California at KSNA John Wayne airport over 300 miles away.

I'm going to try and upload a picture of this airplane. It has a very distinctive paint scheme. It is an aerobat which also makes it fairly unique.

I am in the Bay Area. Let me know if you are ever around here again.

I was in the Sierras (not flying, I was driving) this past weekend but am back now.

I flew in Sunday mid day. There were 4 planes in the pattern and a king air dropping parachuters every hour or so. Very busy non-towered airport.
Never did figure out where the log pile was??

I flew in Sunday mid day. There were 4 planes in the pattern and a king air dropping parachuters every hour or so. Very busy non-towered airport.

Just East of the 33 end of the runway is a large mill, or there used to be when I was based at CGAS Sac. A friend who flew for CDF took me for a ride in a OV10 up there one day and I got to shoot a few from the back seat. Maybe the mill is gone now.

Lincoln is a great airport, it was one of my stops for my long XC during training. I also have friends that moved to Lincoln and I have visited them a couple of times. For me, the airport and runway are huge compared to my home field and the fuel prices are very low, for California.

A log pile at Lincoln? Wouldn't that look like this?
lincoln-logs-e1294164899959.jpg

Very nearly so. Lincoln is at the base of the Sierra foothills.

By the way, how do you keep a white carpet so clean?

I don't, just a random pic of a pile of Lincoln logs I found. :)

Back