Great experience today (long)

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
We finally had some perfect IFR weather today, for at least a few hours, and my CFII was available so we filed and off we went into the clouds. I haven't had so much fun in years, it was a really great experience.

Our first destination was KPTK for fuel (Royal Air is at $5.25 which is close to the cheapest available anywhere in the area). We were cleared via radar vectors, in the clouds by 800 AGL and were told to expect the ILS 9R even though the winds were 250@11. They offered us the RNAV 9R and I accepted, though ILS vs RNAV wasn't really the point, I just didn't want to land with that strong a tailwind. Not impossible given the length of the runway, just not the nicest thing to do to my tires. Dennis suggested two reasons why they might have been landing to the east despite the winds: 1) the ceilings were reported at 600 and the lowest MDA on 27L is 500, cutting it close (though there is a LPV 27L that gets you down to 200) or 2) it was push time at KDTW with lots of big iron crossing east of PTK. Whatever, it was fun shooting the approach and seeing vertical descent rates of 800-1000 fpm due to the high ground speed. We broke out at about 500 AGL with good vis, no trouble spotting the runway, and the landing was a piece of cake.

Immediately after fueling we noticed that they had switched to 27L. Grrr. Anyway I had filed us to KFNT with "multiple approaches" in the remarks. As expected we were quickly IMC. Our clearance was via radar vectors to LAYNE, then direct, up to 4000, however they stopped us at 3000 and gave us vectors to our first approach, the VOR 27. With a reported ceiling of 800, we expected we might HAVE to miss, but we found ourselves between layers at 3000 with a broken undercast, with momentary glimpses of the ground and surreal cloudscapes all around us. Gosh I love IMC!! Dennis snapped a picture of it but I don't have a copy to post, unfortunately. The approach was uneventful, we broke out at about 2000 MSL and flew to the VOR semi-visually. After the miss we flew the ILS 27 to a landing.

From there we picked up our clearance back to home base: cleared to KVLL via radar vectors to PISTN, with no route after PISTN. I read it back without question but was ready to call them back to ask whether I had missed something. Dennis said that direct was implied, so okay. I think if I had been by myself I would have asked for clarification. At this point KVLL was reporting a 600 ceiling -- making it a crapshoot whether we could get in. Both approaches to KVLL are from the west, and the wind was from the same direction. Circling MDAs would not have been low enough, so our only shot was the RNAV 9 straight in despite the tailwind. Okay, give it a try. Worst case, we miss and go back to PTK. Along the way we broke into the clear at 5000 and enjoyed some bright sunshine for a few minutes . :) For the approach we were cleared direct TUSVE, only 10 nm away and we had a ground speed of about 140 kts. I asked for lower and got 3000, put in the flaps to slow us down and got us down comfortably. (I hate quick descents from altitude, or rather my ears hate them.) It was a little bumpy on the way down but I managed it, we got down to 1300 and finally spotted the field at about a mile and a half out. Now for another downwind landing (6-7 kts, not as bad as at PTK, but this is a 3500 ft. runway).

Here Dennis and I disagreed about something. He wanted me to cancel IFR with Approach to free up the airspace and I said no, thinking at first that we were still in Class E airspace and not legally VFR. Then I remembered that we were below 700 AGL and therefore in the Golf. Brain fart on my part. Still in hindsight, I believe it was a wise decision. I had doubts about whether I could pull off the landing. In fact I did have to put in a bit of a slip for a moment, and still ended up using the whole runway on the rollout. Unfortunately, there was a Baron waiting for his release as we landed, and it took us nearly 5 minutes to get through to the TRACON by phone (busy signal). The Baron ended up parking in front of my hangar row as we tried PTK tower, then the TRACON number, and finally got through to the TRACON. I felt bad about that since I had definitely inconvenienced another pilot, yet in the end I think my decision was the right one, though I should have pulled into the runup area and shut down immediately instead of taxiing to my hangar first.

Anyway with the exception of that last glitch, it was a great experience, my first time flying IFR in actual in about 3 years. Dennis said I flew the whole time "within specs", and we're now talking about scheduling the checkride. Wheee!!

I think IMC is easier than hood time. We had some great IMC training weather a few weeks ago (400-500' ceilings, no ice) so packed as many of my IR students in as I could. Great experience.

I think IMC is easier than hood time. We had some great IMC training weather a few weeks ago (400-500' ceilings, no ice) so packed as many of my IR students in as I could. Great experience.

I agree, though maybe it depends on the hood. The Francis hood forces me to move my head from side to side to glance at the GPS, which tends to be vertigo-inducing. Otherwise though, it isn't too bad. Last night we shot some approaches with me wearing foggles over reading glasses, which was very painful since I had to slump down in the seat and crank my neck up to see the panel, and even so I only had a clear view of one row of instruments. I had to lift my head to see the altimeter, and most of the time I was not even including the AI in my scan. When I finally took the foggles off on final approach to home base I had a moment of disorientation from finally being free of the damn visual distortions. I am NOT taking the checkride that way. I need to find a really decent hood, or else order myself a Francis and make do with it.

For today we agreed: whatever happens, even if it goes VFR, no foggles, nothing to spoil the experience. Luckily the weather was perfect for IMC training.

I agree, except when the IMC is near convection. The bumps make it harder to enter frequencies, punch buttons, etc., and I also don't like it when my backseat passengers vomit on my shoulders.

Well, VFR under the hood near convection isn't exactly a cakewalk either. ;)

I know, that isn't what you meant, just saying. Actually punching buttons is hard in bumpy conditions period, VMC or IMC. Using the iPad is a real pain too, and I can't imagine that touchscreen panel mounts are any easier. The flying club I belong to is voting on buying a plane with a GTN 650, so I may have a chance soon to try one out.

I have progressive lenses in my glasses, which I have to wear all the time. I was just wondering if you could get a pair of glasses with just the old fashioned bifocal at the bottom and clear at the top and do better with the foggles. I used foggles throughout my training and never noticed the problem you described.

Anyway, I was just wondering last week how your training was coming along since I hadn't seen a post from you lately. Sounds like it is going fantastically! I'm glad you got over the hurdle you were having a while back. Check ride, here she comes!!!

I have progressive lenses in my glasses, which I have to wear all the time. I was just wondering if you could get a pair of glasses with just the old fashioned bifocal at the bottom and clear at the top and do better with the foggles. I used foggles throughout my training and never noticed the problem you described.
That might work, though I don't even have prescription lenses, just drugstore cheaters. The ones I wear in the plane are short in the vertical dimension. I chose them so I could wear them granny-style, so the foggles ride pretty low on my face. It might be that larger glasses wouldn't be quite as bad. I'll try that before ordering a hood.

Anyway, I was just wondering last week how your training was coming along since I hadn't seen a post from you lately. Sounds like it is going fantastically! I'm glad you got over the hurdle you were having a while back. Check ride, here she comes!!!
Which one? Mx issues, procrastinating CFII, weeks of bad weather, then my finish-up CFII had to back out because of personal problems (I don't think I posted about that, though). I just started flying this week with a new instructor, who sometimes (rarely) posts here in fact. Third one's the charm, I think. Weather and mx gods permitting, I'm starting to think I might be able to finish up over the holiday break, if the DPE is available (still have to call him up).

I probably shouldn't have written that though, I'll just jinx myself.

The hood does get in the way and even with Foggles I have issues with sunshine, viewing charts, etc. because you can't easily pop cheaters or sunglasses on. But in one area hood flying is way easier than "real" IMC and that's transitioning from gauges to visual flight at the end of an approach in poor visibility. I'm surprised that no one has come up with a version of Foggles that provides a similar visual image to what 1/2 mile visibility looks like at 200 AGL. Same thing for circling approaches, the "real thing" is just so different from the simulated version.

Last edited:

I cant agree with this, mostly due to bumps and not being able to cheat :wink2:. But it does depend on the pilot, if they have a good scan it is not difficult. Though 100 hours hood time isnt worth 2 hours of actual imc, nothing beats practice in a nice low ovc!

The hood does get in the way and even with Foggles I have issues with sunshine, viewing charts, etc. because you can't easily pop cheaters or sunglasses on. But in one area hood flying is way easier than "real" IMC and that's transitioning from gauges to visual flight at the end of an approach in poor visibility. I'm surprised that no one has come up with a version of Foggles that provides a similar visual image to what 1/2 mile visibility looks like at 200 AGL. Same thing for circling approaches, the "real thing" is just so different from the simulated version.
That was a real eye-opener for me Sunday, so to speak: the only approach that I flew where the runway was impossible to miss when we broke out was the one at PTK, and that's because we were close to DA. The visibility wasn't so low as to be legally IFR but it wasn't good VFR either -- it varied from 3 to 5 miles at most. So I had to really look for the runway. At both FNT and back at home base, I had to go back and forth between the outside world and the gauges several times before spotting it.

I also learned that sometimes your only choice, if you want to get in somewhere, is to land downwind. Not only because ATC might have declared the downwind runway active, but because the ceiling might be too low for circling. I'm still not sure what my maximum tailwind component is at home base -- that's something I need to determine for myself before I start doing this for real.

After I received my IR, a Naval Aviator (who was also my DPE and is a very active corporate pilot) told me the best way to condition yourself to actual is to start flying in IMC when the ceilings are a thousand feet or so and gradually work your way down. That way, the new instrument pilot can fly solo in actual and still have a little time after breaking out to correct their mistakes. That seemed like really good advice to me and I took it to heart.

Based on what I know (not a lot by the way) about weather in Azure's neighborhood, there will be a lot of opportunities to practice, just be real careful about ice.

Sounds like a fun flight, azure. I'm still in the beginning stages of my IR training but I did get some actual in a few weeks ago. It was indeed a blast!

Back