Great day to practice landings...

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
photo1fj.png

Great day to practice hover maneuvers

In this case if would be flying backwards. Think about it, you can practice take offs and landings without turning the plane around. :D

wow :D

the typical trainer rotates at about 55kts. So when gusting to over 50kts, what was happening with any of the planes tied outside?

(some years ago, at my school, a little c150 was tied down by the wings, but not tail: it flipped over and was totalled and the winds weren't anywhere as strong.

I flew in that yesterday, UT25 - KPGA - KMYF. Averaged 40kt headwind in AZ, 30 in CA. Hit my head twice, dust cloud went to 12k', no real horizon below that.

the typical trainer rotates at about 55kts. So when gusting to over 50kts, what was happening with any of the planes tied outside?

Hopefully they were all tied down well, if not this might happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-wjtP90d_g

Don't know if you ever been to Winslow, there are only 13 aircraft based on the field. Hopefully everyone found some room in a hanger.

I flew in that yesterday, UT25 - KPGA - KMYF. Averaged 40kt headwind in AZ, 30 in CA. Hit my head twice, dust cloud went to 12k', no real horizon below that.

That sounds like a fun flight....except for the headwind.

We had a tied down (not well enough as it turns out) 172 picked up and dropped on its nose wheel. It broke the nose wheel then tipped onto the right wing bending it. It was the same day we had a State Police helicopter blown off its landing pad while refueling.

I'll try to add a pic if I get a chance.

Well the worse the weather is when you practice the better pilot you become. So from a certain point of view it was a perfect time to practice landings. But on the other hand I think it really is a bit too windy.

Hey OP. I'm still getting all my ducks in a row digitally. What app is this?

(some years ago, at my school, a little c150 was tied down by the wings, but not tail: it flipped over and was totalled and the winds weren't anywhere as strong.

Yesterday it was pretty darn windy at KCHD. Consistent 20kts or so with gusts around 30. Well we got one gust that was over 40kts and the Supercubs started to move. :yikes: We were eating lunch at the cafe on the airport and my two friends and I jumped up and caught it before it went into the other one. :yikes:

Back