Great day to fly (Saturday)

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I've been trying to transition from the Warrior I've always rented into a 172SP. I've had a few flights with a CFI and got the FBO checkout finished. I've been trying for more than a month to get a solo flight in.

Weather, maintenance, holidays, family commitments have all kept me grounded. Saturday was a long shot, considering the forcast, but turned out to be clear, cold, little wind. I finally got to take the 172 by myself.

Winds were mild, about 4-5 and directly across the runway. An easy way to get used to handling a light x-wind with an unfamiliar airplane.

Tower had us using R18. I took off, stayed in the pattern for a touch/go. When I turned final I remembered a few things, all at once - the 172 glides a whole lot better than the Warrior, high-pressure and cold air are giving me some good lift, and this is the lightest load I've ever taken in the 172 (no CFI this time). I just couldn't get the thing to descend. That's when I did the forehead slap - oh yeah, 'remember the winds aloft forecast?', the winds above 500' are giving me a pretty good tailwind. Went around and tried again, with much better results.

Headed out and did stalls, slow flight, and steep turns, came back for another touch and go and finally a full stop.

A whole lotta fun. Just as I was leaving, I noticed the airport was now using R36, figures, but lessons were learned.

Sounds like a good day Matt.but i prefer the warrior (jmo).
Dave G

I can tell you're not in Mississippi:rolleyes:

Although, tomorrow is supposed to be great. Well, it's today now but...

If all goes well, I have two students who may solo tomorrow. :)

When I started training I had the option of Warrior or Cessna. I liked the feel of the Warrior - you just sort of 'wear' it. So I chose the Piper.

All was well, there were two nearly identical -161s to fly and I wore out both. Then one of them was pulled off of lease-back by the owner, and the other went in for an engine overhaul. That left me without anything.

I figured it was about time to expand my horizons and this was a good opportunity. Now I'm signed off for 2 172s and the remaining Warrior. They do have several Archers, but they are all so different from each other that the FBO, I mean the insurance company, wants a separate checkout on each.

edit: oh, yeah, it also happened to be my first anniversary of getting my PPL!

Last edited:
When I started training I had the option of Warrior or Cessna. I liked the feel of the Warrior - you just sort of 'wear' it. So I chose the Piper.

All was well, there were two nearly identical -161s to fly and I wore out both. Then one of them was pulled off of lease-back by the owner, and the other went in for an engine overhaul. That left me without anything.

I figured it was about time to expand my horizons and this was a good opportunity. Now I'm signed off for 2 172s and the remaining Warrior. They do have several Archers, but they are all so different from each other that the FBO, I mean the insurance company, wants a separate checkout on each.

Started out just the opposite. Learned in a 172. Added the 182 to my list and the only Piper I've flown is the club's Arrow. They ARE different. Pull the power on the Cessnas and they glide. Pull the power on the Arrow and I hope you're already over the airport, cause you're coming down, now. :D

Back