Great day or my flight in a Cirrus SR22

Maverick

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jean
What a great day!!!

The last couple months have been filled with problems for me. First an emergency appendectomy then I came down with a virus that's been extremely hard to shake and to top it off I'm having really serious trouble with my lower back and neck due to previous injuries I received in an automobile crash.

This morning I received a call from Skipper Stephens from the Saint Clair Flight Academy at PHN, my home airport. He's a good friend and CFI I've had the pleasure of flying with for my BFRs and some commercial training. He called me this morning to invite me out to the airport because he had arranged to have a couple of guys from Cirrus bring two of their airplanes out to give demo flights.

I had the pleasure of spending half an hour in the left seat of a fully loaded Cirrus SR22. What a gorgeous airplane and I was very impressed with the cockpit layout, the glass screens, the way everything was in easy reach and how quiet it was with the Bose headsets we were using. I was even more impressed with the handling and responsiveness of this airplane. I felt so natural sitting in that left seat, it was as if the airplane had been made for me.

Tom Sullivan, the regional sales manager for Cirrus, put the airplane through it's paces giving us a very good demonstration of it's flight characteristics. He also did a good job of explaining the capability of the rather extensive avionics package. We finished the flight with an ILS approach to runway 04 and circle land. The approach was flown completely by the Stec model 55 auto pilot and pretty well, I might add, in spite of the rather heavy cross wind. Over the inner marker we broke off the approach and circled to land on runway 10.

All I can say right now is thank you Skipper for inviting me and thank you Tom for the great flight in a truly wonderful airplane. Although I still love my Cardinal, it just won't be quite the same after today's flight in the Cirrus. Now I just hope that lottery ticket I bought last night is a winner. LOL

Jeannie

I must say, it was a great time. I too got a half hour flight in the left seat and I must say that when Tom put the airplane into a 45 degree turn with full flaps in slow flight, I was impressed. I remember looking out at that wing, and man, was the house we were turning around stayed there. Even with the wind, it didn't move. I think that Skip is going to arrange another one so if anyone lives in Michigan, maybe they would want to take a travel down (or up) to KPHN. The best part? I got logged time :goofy:

Jean,

Hope you're well down the road to being 100% again. Thanks for the PIREP on the SR-22 (which is one of my "lottery" airplanes).

Best wishes,

That's awesome Mav!!! You thinking a new Cirrus may be in your future? If it fit you that well, you'd be crazy not to pursue it!

SkyHog said:
That's awesome Mav!!! You thinking a new Cirrus may be in your future? If it fit you that well, you'd be crazy not to pursue it!

It sure is a really nice airplane but I'm afraid I would need to win the lottery to get into one of those. The one I was in goes for more than $450,000 as equipped. On a lowly engineers salary working for a supplier to the auto industry it would impossible. The automakers, our customers, have this notion that their supplier are supposed to be non profits. :(

Wish me luck on the lottery ticket I bought.

Jeannie

Back