Great but windy day to see fall colors!

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
Flew from Waukesha to Menominee, MI, across Green Bay to Door County, north to Washington Island, and back down the Lake Michigan shoreline. First time I've been up to Door County.

Northbound ground speed in a 172 was 140-150 kts. Southbound groundspeed 85-100 tops.

How better to spend 4.0 hours on a Sunday?

We beat you in the Diamond on our gastons trip. Cruise around 140, GS of around 80 and sometimes less. I'm sure the colors are pretty though!

Flew from Waukesha to Menominee, MI, across Green Bay to Door County, north to Washington Island, and back down the Lake Michigan shoreline. First time I've been up to Door County.

Northbound ground speed in a 172 was 140-150 kts. Southbound groundspeed 85-100 tops.

How better to spend 4.0 hours on a Sunday?

That's a nice jaunt! I flew on Sunday too, out of Green Bay. Windy for sure. I did a cross-country to CWA then Minocqua (ARV) and back. Most of the leaves are gone up there but what is left is mostly bright yellow, so it was kind of neat. Around here things are a little dull compared to normal but there is still some orange and red.

After tonight's cold front brining 30-40 kt winds I'm sure more of those leaves are on the ground now!

Yeah I did some Approaches in MSN tonight to get current again, and we were getting 30+ knot winds out of the south west. Pretty good wind shear close to the ground. Surface winds were 220 at 8.

Pete

That's a nice jaunt! I flew on Sunday too, out of Green Bay. Windy for sure. I did a cross-country to CWA then Minocqua (ARV) and back. Most of the leaves are gone up there but what is left is mostly bright yellow, so it was kind of neat. Around here things are a little dull compared to normal but there is still some orange and red.

After tonight's cold front brining 30-40 kt winds I'm sure more of those leaves are on the ground now!

Kate, I see KCLI was in the neighborhood - I should have stopped by! I need to get up north more often - better views, less traffic.

I bet Door County was better a few weeks ago. It was pretty blown over by the time I flew there.

Yeah I did some Approaches in MSN tonight to get current again, and we were getting 30+ knot winds out of the south west. Pretty good wind shear close to the ground. Surface winds were 220 at 8.

Pete

On Sunday GRB was reporting wind sheer of 40kts 2,000 ft AGL, and then it dropped down to 1,200 ft AGL. It wasn't a directional shift, but it sure was a shift in velocity. We felt it getting down to pattern altitude at KMNM, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Back