Graves' Disease and Special Issuance

leeaf7

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
leeaf7
Hello,

I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism due to graves' disease back in mid May. I have been on methimazole 15mg for the past 2 months in addition to propranolol 20mg a day. I just received a lab result showing my total T3 and free T4 level is within normal range - being clinically euthyroid. However, my TSH level is still very much suppressed <0.005.

My question is when applying for special issuance with FAA, must I need to be chemically euthyroid (meaning my TSH being in normal range)? I have no symptoms right now and feeling great but my endo mentioned that my TSH could be suppressed for long time depending on the how I am. I fly for work and would like to return to the flying status asap.

Thank you for reading and sharing of any experience with hyperthyroidism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I tried to do my due diligence and have read all those already. However it is unclear to me that if suppressed TSH value bears any significance to the FAA flight surgeon while other thyroid hormones (tT3 and fT4) shows normal value under stable dose. Worst case, I may have to wait months and years before getting my normal TSH back even before beginning on SI process. I was hoping maybe a doctor member could give me more insight on this.

Thank you,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back