Gratuitous Michigan Air Show Pics, Pt. I...

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
So, I made the afternoon portion of Sunday's air show at Selfridge ANG base (MTC) in somewhat lousy weather (speaker at one point thanked ATC for aid, as they were launching acts into IMC.... BIG fun! but I digress.....).

On the way in, I spotted and shot some of the aircraft on the ramp areas that were accessable to the public. This F4 flew in for the event, and if I'm not mistakes is a privately owned aircraft.

standard.jpg

This Mig 21 Fishbed was definitely privately owned (WOW!) and flew in for the event as well. How'd that look in your hangar....

standard.jpg

There was an old Texan.....

standard.jpg

And, a new Texan...

standard.jpg

I was glad to see the Star Fighters are still making the air show circuit, though we had a single ship of the teams F104's.....

standard.jpg

Of course it's always great to see the Yankee Air Force's own B-17G, Yankee Lady, that escaped the hangar fire that burned the museum to the ground last October....

standard.jpg

When I finally made it back to the air show area, Julie Clark was putting her T34 Mentor through it's (FAA approved?) paces as usual.....

standard.jpg

Sean D. Tucker is never one to let a little weather to put a damper on his act......

standard.jpg

And check the visibility here.....

standard.jpg

Jim LeRoy will walk his Bulldog in questionalble conditions too....

standard.jpg

Think this qualifies as IMC aerobatics?

standard.jpg

Okay guys, show 'em where we're from! This F-16 tells the "tail"....

standard.jpg

Well, not nec. my best work, but I've got more, including some better saved for Pt. II (including lot's of Blue Angels shots...:hairraise: ). Check back later ;)

Thanks a bunch for posting those great pics. Can't wait to see what else you have.

Q: on the F-16, what is that deflected upward just aft and slightly above the elevator and fwd the tail cone? It looks like it could be an airbrake of some sort.

Thanks T.B., I enjoyed them too.
Could Richard be looking at a speed brake?

Great Pix T-bone. You've got me itching to get to an airshow.

Let'sgoflying! said:

I think so.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks T.B., I enjoyed them too.

Yep, I beleive it's a speed brake. IIRC, it is a clamshell type thing, one up, one down (the view of which being blocked here by the (flying tail) elevator.

I saw the same Star Fighters at an air show at warner robbins a few years ago. That jet was a lot of fun to watch pierce the atmosphere.:lightning:

glpilot said:
I saw the same Star Fighters at an air show at warner robbins a few years ago. That jet was a lot of fun to watch pierce the atmosphere.:lightning:

Yeah, I saw them two years ago at KONZ. A two ship show then, just ripped up the sky! A few months later, they were scheduled for MTC's show. When I got there, there were two jets, but only one did the show. I later met the pilot and discovered his long time wing man had died the day before attempting a ferry flight of a Hawker Hunter to a new owner. We discussed it here about a month ago, and someone provided a link to a story on the accident. Tragic, sounds like the plane just wasn't airworthy at all.

I have a TV interview taped (Speed Vision) from a few years earlier. They were at that time prepping to go to a three ship. Seems unlikely now....

Thanks, I've never seen such haze for areobatics...
just shows what the pilots can really do when they want.

Back