grass field practice

I won't add elevator pressure until sufficiently into the takeoff roll. It does nothing but increase drag, initially.

It keeps the nosegear from taking a beating on less than smooth strips. And it might keep you from pole-vaulting something like an RV with spindly castering rod nosegear when operated on soft or gopher-holed rough strips. Holding enough aft elevator to take significant weight off the nosegear adds negligible drag.

My Valdez champion STOL take off roll consists of pushing on the yoke when the rev's come up to lift the tail, then when you feel it, pull back a little.

She'll pop off, but you ain't flying yet. You gotta push forward again. Ground effect. Let her build up some speed, ...

then zoom climb. ;):D

No way, muchaco... It's perfect for getting the pax to sweat a little as we barrell straight toward it on Takeoff.

Alex... let's go! We might be able to get others from the DFW board to join us.

I am planning to fly back to NM this Thursday. Too friken hot in Texas. So other than this coming weekend, say when.

I am planning to fly back to NM this Thursday. Too friken hot in Texas. So other than this coming weekend, say when.

You're starting to sound like Wayne Bower...

Speaking of which, has there been any recent sightings of him or his shiny Skywagon?

As far as going to 3T0, it will need to be a weekend or evening flight for me. To much to do during weekday to be gone for such a long period.

You're starting to sound like Wayne Bower...

Speaking of which, has there been any recent sightings of him or his shiny Skywagon?

As far as going to 3T0, it will need to be a weekend or evening flight for me. To much to do during weekday to be gone for such a long period.

Traded calls with Wayne, he is doing really well last I spoke to him. Perhaps he has the right idea leaving all the pilot boards, some days I wonder.

As far as my going to Cedar Mills, I'll have to see what's going on when I get back.

I'm not sure what there is to practice on a grass field that makes it worth the risk? I hate taxing on them, you never know what has dug a hole since the last time you were there. I love the places a grass field takes you so its worth the risk of landing on one as long as they are well maintained, Taxi into place and shutdown. But to practice on one not sure I agree its worth the risk of all the taxing you have to do. Then again I own a plane with a reputation of a weak nose wheel so that's always in the back of my head. That being said if you go I'm in, love that place.:)

ok, This weekend I have family commitments but I should be able to get out there next weekend. I will give you a shout once I confirm that. That breakfast buffet is something else :)

Tim and Bryan... the 19th is a nice fly-in, burger feed, and safety seminar at DTO

Mark your Calendars for the regular quarterly FAA Safety Seminar on Saturday, July 19, 2014.

The topic is Density Altitude. Did you know that we crash more planes from density altitude problems in the plains than in the mountains? Why? They are trained and we aren’t. Come and get trained. Density altitudes can kill you, but you can beat it by simple calculations.

Hangar Flying starts at 11:00, Hamburgers served at 11:30, Seminar begins at 12:00.

You should get the FAAST announcement soon if you're signed up on www.faasafety.org

I'll have to fly out and then back in for it to be a fly-in :)

If you do a few laps around the terminal building with your arms outstretched and making airplane noises, we'll let you log it.

I'm not sure what there is to practice on a grass field that makes it worth the risk? I hate taxing on them, you never know what has dug a hole since the last time you were there. I love the places a grass field takes you so its worth the risk of landing on one as long as they are well maintained, Taxi into place and shutdown. But to practice on one not sure I agree its worth the risk of all the taxing you have to do. Then again I own a plane with a reputation of a weak nose wheel so that's always in the back of my head. That being said if you go I'm in, love that place.:)

And on that note... I have a TR182. I have seen videos of RGs landing there, but does anyone fly a Cessna RG into grass fields on a regular basis?

I just don't want to foxtrot up my gear on grass when there is pavement nearby. But I've seen plenty of others do it in Cessna RGs. So... ?

3T0 is a beautiful field! Right on the edge of Lake Texoma and adjacent to the Cedar Mills Resort. I was at Texoma over the 4th of July weekend and drove by it on my brother's boat. So tempting. It would be so pilot-cool to drop in, tie down, hop on the boat and be drinking beer 4 hours after walking out my door in Denver. :D

If you do a few laps around the terminal building with your arms outstretched and making airplane noises, we'll let you log it.

:rofl:
Hilarious. I will do it with foggles if you will keep an eye on me!

3T0 is a beautiful field! Right on the edge of Lake Texoma and adjacent to the Cedar Mills Resort. I was at Texoma over the 4th of July weekend and drove by it on my brother's boat. So tempting. It would be so pilot-cool to drop in, tie down, hop on the boat and be drinking beer 4 hours after walking out my door in Denver. :D

Heck yeah it is. And get a cabin on the runway and wake up to this.
That right there is a photo of the best tasting cup of coffee I ever had:

999931212292.jpg

Periodically during the year, they hold a sea plane "splash in" at Cedar Mills Marina.

Tim and Bryan... the 19th is a nice fly-in, burger feed, and safety seminar at DTO

Mark your Calendars for the regular quarterly FAA Safety Seminar on Saturday, July 19, 2014.

The topic is Density Altitude. Did you know that we crash more planes from density altitude problems in the plains than in the mountains? Why? They are trained and we aren’t. Come and get trained. Density altitudes can kill you, but you can beat it by simple calculations.

Hangar Flying starts at 11:00, Hamburgers served at 11:30, Seminar begins at 12:00.

You should get the FAAST announcement soon if you're signed up on www.faasafety.org

Couple of things going on the next few weeks.
Marcair is Hosting WINGS Seminar
When: 10:00 – 14:00 July 12, 2014 (please be there for the seminar start by 10:15 at the latest)
Where: Marcair Hangar
Please register for the event by visiting www.faasafety.gov event #SW1956517 or look for seminars for Texas.

Tim, we could use you and your RV10 at a Young Eagles Event over at RBD...

---------------------------------

Attention all pilots and ground crew volunteers….You won’t want to miss out of this……..

We will be having a Young Eagles event helping the Southwest Airlines Adopt-A-Pilot program.
We will meet in the Business Center of the Terminal Building at Dallas Executive Airport 8:00 am, Saturday, 7/12/14.

We expect about 50 students.

The Adopt-A-Pilot program was introduced in 1997 as a supplementary way to educate students through aviation –themed activities related to Science, Geography, Math, Writing, and other core subjects.

Additional Activities:
Static displays by Care Flight… King Air Plane, Care Flight Helicopter
Static display by AirBus (American Eurocopter)…Helicopter
Ground School Class
Simulators

Please email/text/call Michelle to let her know if you can volunteer…… (817) 718-6995 michellesmithdaniel@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Travis Fergurson
C 817-501-7718

Tim, we could use you and your RV10 at a Young Eagles Event over at RBD...

---------------------------------

Attention all pilots and ground crew volunteers….You won’t want to miss out of this……..

We will be having a Young Eagles event helping the Southwest Airlines Adopt-A-Pilot program.
We will meet in the Business Center of the Terminal Building at Dallas Executive Airport 8:00 am, Saturday, 7/12/14.

We expect about 50 students.

The Adopt-A-Pilot program was introduced in 1997 as a supplementary way to educate students through aviation –themed activities related to Science, Geography, Math, Writing, and other core subjects.

Additional Activities:
Static displays by Care Flight… King Air Plane, Care Flight Helicopter
Static display by AirBus (American Eurocopter)…Helicopter
Ground School Class
Simulators

Please email/text/call Michelle to let her know if you can volunteer…… (817) 718-6995 michellesmithdaniel@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Travis Fergurson
C 817-501-7718

I'll give them a call

Mike,
I just talked to Michelle, looks like they are still in need of pilots. She is sending me the info, is there a thread on this or are we just going to keep hijacking this one?:)

Mike,
I just talked to Michelle, looks like they are still in need of pilots. She is sending me the info, is there a thread on this or are we just going to keep hijacking this one?:)

You guys are funny

Heck yeah it is. And get a cabin on the runway and wake up to this.
That right there is a photo of the best tasting cup of coffee I ever had:

I think I see the tree everyone hates. :eek:

Yep, I'm going to do that.

Mike,

There was something on the DFW board... I think....

Bryan is such a good dick sport, I don't think he'll mind.

brandjack.jpg

Hijacking.jpg

Periodically during the year, they hold a sea plane "splash in" at Cedar Mills Marina.

I saw a YouTube vid of float planes landing on the grass (hey if they can do it I can too!). I guess they tie up in the marina if not equipped with amphibs? The end of that runway is not a ramp but rocks to prevent erosion, correct?

(BTW... my wife's an Aggie ('98). I lived in B/CS and took a few grad classes at A&M but no ring... Red Raider here.)

Last edited:
Back