Grant assurances; hangar ownership

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
How does this normally play out? (I am pretty certain we are not the first)

Grant assurances have wording which leads airport owners to think they need to acquire ownership of hangars on the airport.
So, when hangars sell, they are telling new owners they cannot renew the lease (of the land underneath the privately owned hangars)
Hangar sales are being cancelled, other owners fear they may not be able to ever sell their property.
Airport owners are effectively annexing hangars without due compensation.
I know, I must acquire a copy of the lease before anything - let's assume it does not state anything about relinquishing the property.

I'd be curious to know what wording in the grant assurances leads to that conclusion? Private hangars change hands all the time at airports subject to grant assurances. At our local airport, there are both private and city-owned hangers. If a private hangar comes up for sale, the city has first right of refusal to buy the hangar. That right has not been exercised in a number of years.

Not an issue here. Private hangars are sold often. The only clause in our lease is that the airport commission gets approval of any lease assignments, but rarely has that ever been an issue. Honestly the airport doesn't want to own the used hangars, never know what type of maintenance issues could crop up at airport expense.

How does this normally play out? (I am pretty certain we are not the first)

Grant assurances have wording which leads airport owners to think they need to acquire ownership of hangars on the airport.
So, when hangars sell, they are telling new owners they cannot renew the lease (of the land underneath the privately owned hangars)
Hangar sales are being cancelled, other owners fear they may not be able to ever sell their property.
Airport owners are effectively annexing hangars without due compensation.
I know, I must acquire a copy of the lease before anything - let's assume it does not state anything about relinquishing the property.
Can you cite the grant assurance that says this?

This is incorrect interpretation of the grant assurances. I know the guy who wrote the AIP Handbook if they need help. Or they can just ask the American Assoc of Airport Execs

Back