Grandma vs Mercedes

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I hate it when they interrupt my nap!

Would be interesting to see the rest of that video, what's he going to do getting out of the car? Grandma owns the crosswalk, don't infringe on her territory.

Did she trigger the airbag? That looked staged to me.

WOW... is that all the impact it takes to set off an airbag???

That's hilarious!

I believe it is an advertising piece from sweden.

(the Bosch 2-stage airbag controller requires a deceleration of the vehicle sufficient to move the drivers body forward 1/2 way to the steering wheel before it fires the airbag, this is not like the first generation airbag controllers that had a switch behind the bumper, it uses a solid state g-meter in the controller itself)

WOW... is that all the impact it takes to set off an airbag???

Hard to tell.

At my salvage yard, I see many vehicles with deployed airbags that have a very light hit to the front.

Then I see others with a major impact right where the sensor would be, and the airbag is intact.

I believe it is staged. Your car has to be moving for the airbag to to off.

It's staged... from like 10 years ago.

Even if staged... it's funny.

Which was the intent of sharing.

Even if staged... it's funny.

Which was the intent of sharing.

Agreed. I'm just bombarded by this stuff from family and moreso from friends who can't think critically and realize when something is staged or a hoax. I get at least two or three e-mails a week with folks saying I "have to check this out!" and it's a link to a video with something debunked ten years ago that's still floating around the Internet.

I believe it is staged.
I agree.

Your car has to be moving for the airbag to to off.

Of the systems I am familiar with, this is not true.

Ignition on, and verification of the event from at least two directional accelerometers. Some also modify the event based on occupant sensors and seat belt status.

Having someone cross centerline head-on and hit you while you are stopped at a light should be a protected event. The physics are no different if the one of the vehicles is moving or not ... it is the closure rate and the masses that creates the energy.

Hard to tell.

At my salvage yard, I see many vehicles with deployed airbags that have a very light hit to the front.

Then I see others with a major impact right where the sensor would be, and the airbag is intact.

There's more involved though isn't there? Doesn't an accelerometer come into play as well? I agree it was a staged deal.

There's more involved though isn't there? Doesn't an accelerometer come into play as well? I agree it was a staged deal.

They use at least two accelerometers. Usually one up front and one somewhere in the passenger compartment.

They are also directional, so one not only needs to get hit hard enough to trigger both, but the axis must be in a direction where the airbag also does good.

The act of firing an airbag in a vehicle adds risk of injury, so you don't want to set one off unless the collision is such that the benefits of the bag mitigating greater bodily harm are greater than potential injuries caused by the deployment event itself.

The early sensors (Breed) consisted of a metal tube containing a gold plated ball, a spring or magnet, and a switch. It helps people visualize why the bag doesn't always go off in every collision, unless the collision is in the right direction and magnitude.

ballsensor.png

The new ones are all solid state.

I won't mention which manufacturer had the problem, but when I was still in this business, there was a significant issue where occasionally, the airbags would be inadvertently deployed on the assembly line during vehicle manufacture.

After many months of investigation (and highly spooked assembly line folks) the root cause was nailed.

This was after the switch to solid state.

When the ignition key was first turned on, each of the two sensors was "pinged" in sequence to see if they responded appropriately.

On this particular vehicle, one was in the engine compartment, and one tucked into the front passenger door.

2 simultaneous triggers were needed to set off an event.

Turns out, if the timing was just right, one worker could be turning on the ignition for a gauge check while a second was finishing a passenger side assembly step.

If passenger side worker slammed his door at the very instant the engine compartment sensor was pinged during a self test, the controller registered two simultaneous events and -pow- the bags went.

A firmware change was soon implemented.

Back