Grand Lake Regional

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Hey.
Has anybody here ever landed at Grand Lake Regional on Grand Lake in Oklahoma. My family owns a lake house down there and its right across the lake from the airport. I was wondering what it was like because i was planning on flying down there this summer a couple of times.

Hey Rudy,!

I grew up in that area, it was about a 20 min flight for me. Used to take students there all the time. Nice little airport, very pretty, nice folks. That would be a great weekend getaway.

And it's a stone throw away from Tulsa. I have been there many of times. It's a good little runway. It slopes downhill from the north to the south but plenty of runway. You kind of have to drop it over the tree's when coming in from the North. There is a good little restaurant that you can walk to called "Anna's Banana's". Also, there is a plane wash there at the terminal. It's located along side a car wash but inside the fense. I have used it a couple of times. Land there, it's a great location to go and see for fun. Most of my av-crew go there for lunch and dinner for fun.

Brent

Rudy said:
Hey.
Has anybody here ever landed at Grand Lake Regional on Grand Lake in Oklahoma.
Rudy, we used to fly down there often; had some group fly-outs there, as well. We also flew into the grass strip with parallel runways, Teramiranda, just a few miles away. You cross over Teramiranda on final (landing to the south) so you have to watch for that traffic.

The folks at the FBO at Grand Lake Regional used to drive us in the big white limo to Shangri La, or one of the other restaurants. Don't know if they still have the limo.

There have been some legal/political issues with the airport the past few years; don't know how it turned out.

You just have to be careful you don't come in too short landing to the south, d/t a giant drop-off on the approach end of the runway (they painted it like a big checkerboard), and all that water on the approach end of the runway landing to the north.

It's a nice place to fly into.

Yeah we have went by it in the boat many times. I always said when i learn how to fly i am gonna land there. Right over the water. Sounds like a blast I will just have to see what the wind is like if im not completely comfortable with it i can just go land in Grove and have my brother pick me up in the car instead of the boat. Just thought it would be a good story to say "got outta of the plane in swim trunks no shirt. hopped in the boat and went off" thats the ideal i guess haha

Back