Grand Canyon West airport 1G4

JC Chan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JC Chan
Grand Canyon West airport 1G4, locate in west of Grand Canyon, near the Eagle Point and Skywalk. You can have a very close awasome view from the sky to the Grand Canyon.

Nice that you experienced that, the canyon is spectacular. Has to be on every pilot's bucket list. I've flown over 1G4 many times and I know it's an easy flight from Vegas. I've always thought 1G4's proximity to the Canyon (VERY close to the south rim) might be challenging any day winds are blowing from the North. I've always chosen KGCN as it is set back a bit farther from the canyon and has a lot more sites and amenities closeby for tourists. Also, the VFR corridors to the east end of the canyon have much more dramatic scenery. But it's definitely farther from KVGT if you're just renting for the day. A couple of our trips here:

Grand Canyon 2023

Grand Canyon 2020

Grand Canyon West airport 1G4, locate in west of Grand Canyon, near the Eagle Point and Skywalk. You can have a very close awasome view from the sky to the Grand Canyon.

Just like being there!

Nice that you experienced that, the canyon is spectacular. Has to be on every pilot's bucket list. I've flown over 1G4 many times and I know it's an easy flight from Vegas. I've always thought 1G4's proximity to the Canyon (VERY close to the south rim) might be challenging any day winds are blowing from the North. I've always chosen KGCN as it is set back a bit farther from the canyon and has a lot more sites and amenities closeby for tourists. Also, the VFR corridors to the east end of the canyon have much more dramatic scenery. But it's definitely farther from KVGT if you're just renting for the day. A couple of our trips here:

Grand Canyon 2023

Grand Canyon 2020
Thanks for your tips

Thanks for your tips
No worries. One note of caution - there are A LOT of helicopters buzzing in and out of KGCN. I've never given much thought to helicopters and wake turbulence until seeing recent postings about helicopter rotor wash actually flipping small planes coming in on final. Everyone knows to avoid wingtip vortices on big turbine aircraft taking off and landing in front of you. But these recent articles highlight the tremendous danger of following too close to a helicopter making low passes across runways and taxiways. An example:

Surviving A Rotor Wash Crash

With the volume of tourist helicopters constantly ingressing and egressing KGCN, in addition to natural turbulence from the canyon edge a couple of miles to the north, pilots must be extremely careful to avoid having a bad day. Best to wait at least two minutes after a helicopter passes.

Cool! 1G4 is a favorite spot of mine. The glass floored walkway there out over the canyon is a cool little attraction as well

No worries. One note of caution - there are A LOT of helicopters buzzing in and out of KGCN. I've never given much thought to helicopters and wake turbulence until seeing recent postings about helicopter rotor wash actually flipping small planes coming in on final. Everyone knows to avoid wingtip vortices on big turbine aircraft taking off and landing in front of you. But these recent articles highlight the tremendous danger of following too close to a helicopter making low passes across runways and taxiways. An example:

Surviving A Rotor Wash Crash

With the volume of tourist helicopters constantly ingressing and egressing KGCN, in addition to natural turbulence from the canyon edge a couple of miles to the north, pilots must be extremely careful to avoid having a bad day. Best to wait at least two minutes after a helicopter passes.
Thank yoy

Back