Grand Canyon West (1G4)

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Has anyone been to Grand Canyon West airport, 1G4?

I'm thinking about stopping by in the near future. If there is anything you guys can tell me about it, it would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Was great service but that was 3 years ago. Lots of traffic during the late spring and summer. Fuel prices were high... fuel up prior to getting there.

I flew my Aircoupe in there a few years ago without any trouble. Make sure get familiar with the Grand Canyon chart before you go. There was a significant amount of traffic and no parallel taxiway so it took a bit of coordination.

I don't think fuel is going to be a problem, should be able to fit plenty on board (plus I thought they didn't have fuel at all). I am familiar with the grand canyon chart and flying over it in general (but I never crossed it that was west), will defiantly make sure that I familiarize myself with the airport layout.

Regarding the traffic. I assume most of that traffic are tour helicopters, right?
Can you estimate how much traffic should I expect? 3-5 aircraft in the pattern or even more?
Also would you happen to remember is there was TIS coverage?

There were actually several fixed wing tour aircraft using the runway, I think they were shuttling in tourist from Vegas. During the fall there was probably one every few minutes. Getting in was easy, land and turnoff to the ramp. Leaving took the coordination, took a while to back taxi between arrivals, exacerbated because there was about 12 planes in our group. Can't comment about TIS coverage, plane isn't equipped.

I flew there in September, they just added nice pilot controlled lighting, and we showed up after the main rush so they didn't charge us a landing fee. It is busy with commuter and tour ops but it's definitely manageable to get in. I think you'll be fine, but I don't think there is fuel there, best to get it in Vegas probably.

Back