Grand Canyon Flying

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I am considering flying to the Grand Canyon later in the early fall. Anyone flown into the airport on the SW side of canyon.
I haven't seen any restrictions about flying above the canyon, have I missed something?

We just returned from a 9 day motorcycle ride there from Sugarland. I really want to see this beauty from the air.

Any recommendation on hotels in the area?

:dunno:

I am considering flying to the Grand Canyon later in the early fall. Anyone flown into the airport on the SW side of canyon.
I haven't seen any restrictions about flying above the canyon, have I missed something?
:dunno:

There are flight rules and corridors with altitude restrictions.

Get the Grand Canyon VFR chart. Study it. There are several large sections where flight is prohibited below 14.5k, which are penetrated by flight corridors with very specific limits. In addition there are several, (6 I seem to recall), different air to air frequencies to attempt to keep the hundreds of sightseeing aircraft that overfly the area daily apart. If you fly early in the morning, (6-8AM) you can avoid the majority of the traffic. (See 14 CFR Part 93 Subpart U and SFAR 50-2

Last edited:
bring your wallet, landing fee is $100 if I remember right. I took the wife and her friend over it and was gonna land for lunch when Henderson airport advised me of the landing fee. We didn't land:D

Fun little flight. Definitely get the special vfr chart for the canyon.

bring your wallet, landing fee is $100 if I remember right. I took the wife and her friend over it and was gonna land for lunch when Henderson airport advised me of the landing fee. We didn't land:D

Fun little flight. Definitely get the special vfr chart for the canyon.

Henderson airport?
I'm not familiar with an airport near grand canyon by that name, what's the code?

HND. It's just south of Las Vegas.

Right, forgot about that. For some reason I was thinking about the airports that are located on the rim of the canyon, and completely excluded everything else. :mad2:

In addition to all the stuff said above about flying the grand canyon I recommend you just buy the paper chart. FAA has been selling the same one since 2001 and it does not expire, so it's pretty cheap compared to everything else.

In addition to all the stuff said above about flying the grand canyon I recommend you just buy the paper chart. FAA has been selling the same one since 2001 and it does not expire, so it's pretty cheap compared to everything else.

Besides helping me stay out of trouble, it definitely enhanced my enjoyment of flying over the Canyon when I did it.

I'm heading there (by car) in two days (South Rim). I'd love to get some flying in while I'm there but it's just not the nature of the trip. It would definitely be an awesome thing to do someday. if you wind up doing it, POST PICS!

I've done the flyways via the special chart and landed at the main airport. Definitely worth a flyover. Also fun to fly the Canyonlands north of Page, AZ.

I've asked ForeFlight about adding the Grand Canyon Chart.

I've done the flyways via the special chart and landed at the main airport. Definitely worth a flyover. Also fun to fly the Canyonlands north of Page, AZ.

I've asked ForeFlight about adding the Grand Canyon Chart.

I downloaded it and imported into the Foreflight "documents" section. Not georeferenced, but better than carrying paper.

Dan

Henderson airport?
I'm not familiar with an airport near grand canyon by that name, what's the code?

HND. It is a great airport for when you are visiting vegas. The airport at the south west rim of GC is the one with the $100 landing fee

Landing at Sedona is a must also. Take the crew car into town for lunch. The views are incredible.

Flying the canyon is a lot of fun and very worth while. :yes:

I crossed that off my bucket list 2 years ago.

Arizona_Trip_012__Medium_.jpg

Sedona red rock area. You can get much lower there than over the canyon. ;)

Arizona_Trip_023__Medium_.jpg

Canyon view.

Last edited:
HND. It is a great airport for when you are visiting vegas. The airport at the south west rim of GC is the one with the $100 landing fee

I was at grand canyon airport 2 weeks ago and there was no fee

The Airport/Facility Directory says that the landing fee is for commercial operations.

I'm heading there (by car) in two days (South Rim). I'd love to get some flying in while I'm there but it's just not the nature of the trip. It would definitely be an awesome thing to do someday. if you wind up doing it, POST PICS!

We did the south rim. It was amazing.
We took the train from Williams to the canyon. Great fun

You mean KGCN?
I've been there a couple of time, haven't payed any kind of landing fee a single time. Maybe something has change since the last time you been there.

I was at grand canyon airport 2 weeks ago and there was no fee

Good to know. I was given false info. There are 2 airports at GC, wonder if one has the landing fee..... Hmmm

I know the Indian tribe with the airport near the "skywalk" charges a large landing fee...

Back