Grabbing Time

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Going up again on Thursday. I'm only getting like 4-5 hours a month, with occasional 10 hour months (due to a long X-C). I can't see any alternative but to train for another something or other. Right now, I'd say 75% of my flying is training anyway, since I want to keep up VFR and IFR currency. For example, Thursday will be three approaches, then slow flight and stalls, then maybe three landings.

And the airplane situation is ****ing me off because there isn't anything with six seats for rent, so I'm having to drive when we want to go somewhere! Bleh! My CFI is looking for just one more partner before he buys that C206 or PA-32. The Trinidad is a great X-C machine, but there's just one, it costs $190 per hour, and it is booked way in advance all the time.

I'd like to get the multi, but there's no one who rents at BWI (or would be able to rent for solo), and there's only one at FDK, a four-seat Seminole (four seats, meaning, what's the point?), and it is now for training ONLY.

I am not stagnating, but the situation around me is crushing me. There are whiffs of rumors at FDK about a purchase of a PA-32 and even a Seneca. Oh when will this happen?

Bleh

Ben,

Are you committed to 6 seats? Any option to do 4?

Drop me an email or PM sometime.

Bill

Ben,

Bill

Want some fun with aerobatics too? Solo time in a cri-cri. One seat, 2 engines. Counts for multi-engine time, no? HP about 15 each engine.

I *think* Ben likes 6 seats cause he usually travels with a Cello?

Dude, buy a plane already!!!

If you can afford 5-10 hours/month renting, you can do it! No need for some other whatchamacallit rating because you're bored.

-Rich

P.S. Warning: if you take a ride in Bill's Commander, you won't want to fly anything else!!! :yes:

Ben,

Bill

Hey, Bill. Yep, I really need six. There are only two types of flights for me: training, in which case seats don't matter, or X-Cs, in which case, I need ROOOM.

Dude, buy a plane already!!!

If you can afford 5-10 hours/month renting, you can do it! No need for some other whatchamacallit rating because you're bored.

-Rich

P.S. Warning: if you take a ride in Bill's Commander, you won't want to fly anything else!!! :yes:

Really? I am only getting like 80 hours per year. I had thought the magic number was closer to 150 hours, no?

Really? I am only getting like 80 hours per year. I had thought the magic number was closer to 150 hours, no?
Ah, but see, you're trying to apply financial sense to plane ownership. Bad move. :)

I wasn't really talking about break-even renting vs. owning. I'm really trying to encourage you to buy if it'll make you happier.

I had given thought to a commercial license, mainly because I too was bored sometimes, and getting impatient about saving up for ownership. But, really, I'll probably never fly for money. Flying is just my favorite hobby in the world.

Yes, lots of flights in my Commander are just for IFR currency, but now that I own it, doing so doesn't seem so boring after all!

-Rich

Ah, but see, you're trying to apply financial sense to plane ownership. Bad move. :)

I wasn't really talking about break-even renting vs. owning. I'm really trying to encourage you to buy if it'll make you happier.

I had given thought to a commercial license, mainly because I too was bored sometimes, and getting impatient about saving up for ownership. But, really, I'll probably never fly for money. Flying is just my favorite hobby in the world.

Yes, lots of flights in my Commander are just for IFR currency, but now that I own it, doing so doesn't seem so boring after all!

-Rich

I see. Yes, I would love to buy. If I had the money, I would get a Seneca II with full KI, turbos with intercoolers and automatic wastegates. I think that it would be just about the best plane I could ever own given the amount of hours I fly per year. (If I flew more and had the time to devote to it, I would opt for a C340 or Meridian.)

Back