GR-30P Issues

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
I just had a CGR-30P installed in my Navion with a E-225 engine. I am having some issues and would like to hear from others who have this instrument. My plane has the pressure carb so I have a forward and return transducer for fuel flow. Even with the engine not running I can see a .2-.3 gph fuel flow when the instrument is powered. We saw this before I took delivery of the plane and EI did a SW update but that hasn’t resolved the issue.
Also during a flight yesterday when I reduced power on downwind the MP reading went to zero and stayed zero through landing and shutdown at the fuel pump. After restarting to taxi back to my hangar the MP read fine.
I have noticed that I can no longer get the engine to idle below 980-1000 RPM. At this idle the MP reads 17-18” which seems high. Savvy Aviation which analyzed the recordings says to look for an induction leak. Could there be a leak at the new MP sensor that could cause the idle and the Zero reading issues? Any advice or suggestions for further diagnosis and resolution?
Thx
Leo Langston
N4937K

Sounds like an install or configuration problem, honestly. I've got a CGR-30P setup in my Twin Bonanza (with pressure carbs, and the multi-transducer setup for fuel flow) and don't have any of the issues you're experiencing. It's a really complicated install, with a lot of parts and interconnections. I'd start with checking the plumbing from the intake to the MP sensor for leaks (or kinks, or a line collapsing).

EI tech support can be VERY helpful, as they've seen most every possible problem. Keep calling them until you sort it out (and know they're usually really reluctant to suggest anything is a hardware fault, so that's always the LAST place they look).

I spoke with the installer and they said the sensor was installed inside the cabin onto the old connection to the original analog sensor. Since it read zero it’s pretty much a wiring connection issue. When I check this morning the MP was reading ambient just fine.

Hi Leo-

Let's start by troubleshooting the fuel flow. There are two transducer installed, one wired directly to the EDC-33P and one into another EDC channel by way of a FFDM-1 (fuel flow differential module). I first suggest disconnecting the wiring from one flow transducer at a time and observing the fuel flow indication. If flow returns to 0 with one disconnected, we have at least narrowed down where a potential problem may be and can investigate further. There is also a way to view the "raw counts" of each transducer, as well. This way, we can see what signal is being transmitted to the EDC. If you would give us a call when you are in front of the display, we can guide you through the pages to access that information.

Regarding manifold pressure, the only time it would read 0 is if one of the four wires were disconnected. If the polyurethane tube were to be disconnected, the display should show ambient pressure (absolute, not corrected for elevation like the altimeter). That indication would slowly decrease as the aircraft climbed. If the wiring and connections have been confirmed, I think the best course of action would be to return the manifold pressure transducer for evaluation. To do so, please first visit the following link and complete the short online form. Having done so, our system will generate a RMA number for you to reference.

https://www.iflyei.com/returns-or-repairs/

If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to PM me here, e-mail us at support@iflyei.com or give us a call at 541-318-6060.

Dave

Thx for the reply Dave. Let me get with my installer and see how they want to proceed. When I last spoke with them they said that the MP sensor was just installed inside the cabin onto the same pipe that originally was connected to the analog MP Gauge. I can’t be sure about any plastic tubing. When I was at the plane yesterday the MP reading looked normal at 30+ inches. I am a 3.5 hr flight away from my installer in MS so it’s not easy to do this sort of work as I am not an A&P. I will call when I can get someone to perform the necessary work.

Leo

Back