GPS175/GFC500 w/G3X will I need a GAD 29D ?

Scott MacMoyle

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M
Garmin says its needed for 3rd party autopilots and GTX and GNS navigators. I dont have those. I want to buy a GPS175 and want to make sure it all plays together.

Thanks
Scott

I think I found my answer. the G3X install manual adds to GPS 175 355 and 375 to the list. oh boy. I get to give Garmin 700 bucks for a box to get their stuff to talk to each other.

G3X can drive the GFC 500 directly. You do need a GPS navigator, the GPS175 you mentioned should be all you need.

G3X can drive the GFC 500 directly. You do need a GPS navigator, the GPS175 you mentioned should be all you need.
Is this for experimental? How does it pass through the GPS data to the G5 for the GFC failover feature that the certified version requires?

I think the OP was wondering about the connection between the G3X and the GPS 175, not the GFC 500. The G3X has no ARINC 429 interface other than the GAD 29. I don't know the GPS 175, but for example with a GTN 650 I had to use the ARINC 429 to communicate between my G3X panel and the GTN. Maybe the GPS 175 can speak some other language to the G3X than ARINC 429, but my guess is that it doesn't, which necessitates the GAD 29.

That makes sense. Garmin really doesn't make it easy to say what works with what...

That makes sense. Garmin really doesn't make it easy to say what works with what...
It is easier if you can get the install manuals. But they aren’t always easy to find for the certified units. And even if you read them all, there is bound to be a footnote you miss.

Circling back and not on the main topic, but: Does the certified G3X Touch require the separately certified GFC 500 autopilot, or can the version of the G3X Touch autopilot that we experimental folks get to use be put in a certified plane?

Circling back and not on the main topic, but: Does the certified G3X Touch require the separately certified GFC 500 autopilot, or can the version of the G3X Touch autopilot that we experimental folks get to use be put in a certified plane?
Non-TSO, no STC and major alteration? I'm guessing the answer is "no".

Non-TSO, no STC and major alteration? I'm guessing the answer is "no".
Looks like that’s the case. Probably it is easier to get the G3X Touch and GFC 500 certified in new types when they are certified separately.

Back