GPS, VOR, Pilotage, Dead Reckoning?

Pilotage and to a slightly lesser extent ded reckoning, are fairly useless if you're in IMC, a condition that applies to a significant number of my cross country flights.

I think it's important to practice very degraded mode flying under the hood from time to time (loss of all Nav signals, for example).

Maintaining a heading with only a TC and Compass ain't easy if you haven't been practicing.

I think it's important to practice very degraded mode flying under the hood from time to time (loss of all Nav signals, for example).

Maintaining a heading with only a TC and Compass ain't easy if you haven't been practicing.
Nothing wrong with pushing your limits during recurrent training but IMO the total loss of all my sources of NAV and losing all gyros except the T&B in IMC (plus the lack of radar guidance) are on the order of the chances of a wing falling off, something I definitely don't care to practice. And even if I were so unlucky I'd probably just head in the general direction of VMC (which might be UP).

Last edited:
I got my PPL just over 10 years ago in a beater rental with only basic gauges, 10 miles east of the Dallas Class B. You could flip a coin on whether or not both VOR receivers would work at the same time, and ADF INOP was always a safe bet. I learned to fly long XC's with sectionals, VOR's, and my Mark I eyeballs. Shortly after my checkride I bought a Garmin 196 handheld (back when they were new and still cost $1k) and loved it, started flying direct, but still kept following sectional maps as I went and checking VOR's in route. Old habits are hard to kill and occasionally come in handy.

About two months ago my uncle bought a C-172 up in Maine, and I flew it back to west Texas for him. It had a hard IFR panel installed, including KLN94, KMD550, and 2-axis AP. I flew the first half of that 3-day trip the way I knew how, by VOR and sectional, while I figured out the new toys in the panel. I love it now, don't get me wrong, and I fly it A LOT, but I still tune the VOR's and keep a sectional out. If the magic electrons quit moving one day, I'll be the guy with a smile on his face saying "Huh, how 'bout that?" B)

I use my handheld GPS for touch 'n goes!:D

If I lose track of my landing count I just zoom in real close on the track when I'm done.

Actually, I mostly use pilotage since most of my flying is within a couple hundred miles of home but, since the plane has a panel mount G430 that's used for comm1, I always have the GPS on for reference. (The handheld is only around because I bought it before joining the flying club.)

Back