gps upgrade

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My 1977 Cessna 172N came with a Garmin 496 (which I love) and the now obsolete Northstar M3 (which I have never used). I am ready to upgrade for IFR capability. I was thinking about mating a Garmin 430 with my 496 but would like opinions and advice on other options.

Whatever you do, get a WAAS unit. The additional capabilities (LNAV/VNAV and LPV minimums) are worth it.

I don't know if you can still buy the 480, but that was a nice GPS too. The big difference between a 400 and 500 series Garmin is the screen size - you need to decide if it's worth the cost difference.

I think you've got the right idea. A 430W will provide powerful capabilities as well as a good interface with your existing 496 (check into installing the Airgizmo 496 docking station when you install the 430).

The M3 is a fabulous navigator. Just add an MX 20 (or it's successor). You'll eventually drive it with a 430w but for now- why aren't you using it- are you without an IR?

The M3 is a fabulous navigator. Just add an MX 20 (or it's successor). You'll eventually drive it with a 430w but for now- why aren't you using it- are you without an IR?

I think a lot of folks see the absence of a pictorial display, and write off the M-3 out of hand.

I have an M-1 Loran, and folks ask me why I still have it when I have a 430W; why, indeed? It is a great navigator, and a useful backup.

Your suggestion for an MX20 is great- I have many times seen MX20s for very reasonable prices.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ga...=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=garmin+mx20&_osacat=0

From a functionality standpoint, if you are not budget limited, I can't imagine why you wouldn't opt for a 430W. Sure, the older units can find locations, but the 430 does so much more. I don't know if you can get current databases for the M3, maybe you can, but the 430 is a very solid, can't miss upgrade. 480s might have more capability, but support might be lacking in the future. Why spend money on a dead end?? That's why I wouldn't put in a King 89/90 for sure, and would avoid the KLN94 just because I think the 430 is better. IMHO.

WIth WAAS, no more worrying about RAIM, plus you get mins like an ILS for a lot of RNAV approaches. THat's worth a lot to me, right there.

This is actually for my wife. She is going to begin IFR training in January. The M3 works, but the memory is insufficient to hold current databases, so it is no longer supported. We are probably going to be going with the 430w because of it's quality and features, unless I can get a real good deal on a 530. We do have the docking station. Personally, I would be satisfied with just the 496, but being portable, it is not IFR certified.

Can someone tell me some advantages the 430 has over the 496? And what would we use the 496 for besides the bigger screen, after we install the 430W.

As long as we are spending your money, the GNS530W can usually be installed at a greater discount on the unit and labor is the same as for the GNS430W. The extra screen size, the EFIS arc style primary navigation page, and the ability to display the Nav frequency, ID, bearing and distance in the small window at the same time are the major differences.

Can someone tell me some advantages the 430 has over the 496? And what would we use the 496 for besides the bigger screen, after we install the 430W.

To use it for IFR, it must be panel mounted > Advantage 430
WAAS> Advantage 430
Back up gps and situational awareness > Advantage 496
WX option> Advantage 496
Keep in mind that you can cross-feed the 430 into the 496. A very nice
feature!

Keep in mind that you can cross-feed the 430 into the 496. A very nice
feature!

Can you crossfeed flight plan data from the 430/530 series to the new Garmin Aera series? I know you can interface a GTX330 transponder for traffic alerts on the Aera.

My 1977 Cessna 172N came with a Garmin 496 (which I love) and the now obsolete Northstar M3 (which I have never used). I am ready to upgrade for IFR capability. I was thinking about mating a Garmin 430 with my 496 but would like opinions and advice on other options.

Just curious- why mate the 496 with another GPS?

Thanks!

Back